Rossellini makes a `Porno' with Web short films
TORONTO (AP) -- Isabella Rossellini has established herself as the world's most prominent porn artist specializing in the lusty behavior of bugs, barnacles, shrimp and starfish.
Her "Green Porno" short films have become a Web sensation, offering morsels about the reproductive habits of insects and ocean life and a clever dose of low-budget filmmaking that takes its cue from old-fashioned arts and crafts classes.
The films written and co-directed by Rossellini feature the actress offering wry narration about how she would mate if she were a dragonfly or squid or anchovy. Rossellini appears in costumes mostly made of paper, staring in bemusement at the camera as she shows off makeshift versions of some of the species' gargantuan sexual apparatus.
The do-it-yourself style had two aims: To make the best use of the small budgets she had to make the films, and to create something simple enough to make for good viewing on the tiny screens of cell phones and other portable devices.
"We couldn't photograph real sets, because there's too many colors, too many things going, so it had to be almost two-dimensional, cartoon-looking," Rossellini, 57, said in an interview at the Toronto International Film Festival, where a selection of new "Green Porno" films premiered Friday.
"I think there is a quality of naivete about it. I did want `Green Porno' deliberately to look like something that was done in your basement, that looked like it didn't have a production behind it."
The third and final season of "Green Porno" launches online on http://www.sundancechannel.com Monday. The films then have their TV premiere on the Sundance Channel on Sept. 21, with a "Green Porno" book accompanied by a DVD of the short films due out the next day from Harper Collins.
"Green Porno" got its start as Sundance Institute founder Robert Redford was querying artists and filmmakers about creating content specifically for the Internet.
A bird watcher and insect enthusiast, Rossellini was keen to do something on nature but wanted a hook to really draw viewers' attention.
"I wanted to talk about animals, but I know that a lot of people aren't interested in animals. But everybody's interested in sex, so I thought I could do the sex life of animals," said Rossellini, whose films include "Blue Velvet," "Wild at Heart" and "Fearless."
The results are far out compared to nature documentaries you might see on Animal Planet. But Rossellini was aiming more to amuse than educate.
"What was interesting was how many ways there are in nature, the diversity, and how many ways there were to reproduce. But it wasn't at all meant as a lesson," Rossellini said. "I wanted to have two reactions. I wanted people to laugh, but also, I wanted people to say after, `Oh, I didn't know that.' I don't see myself as a teacher or someone who has something to teach. I just wanted to entertain."
On the Net:
Toronto International Film Festival: http://tiff.net/default.aspx
"Green Porno": http://www.sundancechannel.com/greenporno
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Gwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Kim’s final pre-baby Parisian getaway on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Magic LoveThe stars of "Now You See Me" chat learning magic tricks and experiencing the real deal.Watch Video »
- Workout ObsessedGwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite