Actor Bruce Willis offers to donate Idaho ski area
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: Dave Allocca/Invision/AP2 of 10
- Photo: Apega/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com4 of 10
- Photo: Michael Buckner/GettyImages.com5 of 10
- Photo: ANG/Fame Pictures6 of 10
- Photo: John Spellman/Retna Ltd.7 of 10
- Photo: Alex Whistler/Retna Ltd.8 of 10
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage.com9 of 10
More Celeb News
- NBC's Research Prez Reveals New 52-Week Strategy: Original Fall Season Is a 'NielsMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 12:45:00 PM
- Universal Options 'Let It Snow' Book Featuring Short Story by John GreenMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 12:28:00 PM
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell: 'I Got it Wrong, I'm Sorry'MSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 12:23:00 PM
- Proctor & Gamble Cancels Its Breast Cancer Awareness Month Partnership With NFLMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 12:12:00 PM
- Sam Elliott, Garret Dillahunt Join FX's 'Justified'MSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 11:30:00 AM
- NBC's Research Prez Reveals New 52-Week Strategy: Original Fall Season Is a 'Niels
Ketchum, Idaho -- Bruce Willis says he's willing to give away his central Idaho ski resort to a nonprofit.
The action star has already put his lavish home in nearby Hailey, Idaho, on the market -- it's listed at $15 million -- along with his local bar and nightclub, The Mint -- listed at about $4 million.
Now the Idaho Mountain Express reports Willis may be severing another real estate tie to Idaho. The actor told Camas County leaders he is willing to give the Soldier Mountain ski area in Fairfield to the right nonprofit.
Willis, best known for the "Die Hard" series and "Sixth Sense," has owned the ski area since the late 1990s. It boasts 1,150 acres of in-bounds terrain, and its three lifts give access to a vertical rise of 1,425 feet.
Soldier Mountain is popular with families, serving as a laid-back alternative to the swanky Sun Valley ski resort about 65 miles away.
Willis' Soldier Mountain Development owns and operates the ski hill on public land under a U.S. Forest Service special-use permit.
At least one nonprofit has expressed interest in his offer.
RELATED: Stars Who Rock
John Palan, with the local Soldier Mountain Recreation Association, says his group is hoping to get enough help from donors to take over the ski area's operations.
"If we can get our ducks in a row, seek sponsors and new members, we would like to transfer the Forest Service permit and continue operations," said Palan, who also is a longtime Soldier Mountain employee.
The ski area has been operating at a loss for several years, Palan said. He did not elaborate.
There are 30 nonprofit ski areas operating in the United States, said Ted Beeler, president of the ski area planning and design firm SE Group. The company was hired in 2006 to prepare a master development plan for Soldier Mountain.
Beeler said transferring ownership to a nonprofit entity would allow for tax-deductible donations to keep the operation afloat.
Willis and his former wife, Demi Moore, became part of the celebrity scene in Idaho's posh Sun Valley region during the 1990s. Last year, Willis put his home -- complete with a guesthouse, gym and pool with water slides -- on the market for $15 million. In 2010, he put The Mint bar and nightclub on the market for $6 million but later dropped the price to $4 million.
Willis' publicist Paul Bloch said he has no comment on the matter.
RELATED: Foxy 50 Over 50
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
Royal Beach Bods
Check out the hottest royals enjoying their beach vacations.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGorgeous Gwen
From Crowd Ignite