Actors to IMDB: Don't show our ages!Related: Op Ed, Julia Roberts, Nicole Kidman, Sandra Bullock
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.1 of 8
- Photo: Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com2 of 8
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage.com3 of 8
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com4 of 8
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/AP5 of 8
- Photo: Walter McBride/Retna Ltd.6 of 8
- Photo: Diane Cohen/Fame Pictures7 of 8
More Celeb News
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' On $80M Pace After $21M Friday at Box Office MSNEntertainment 5/18/2013 8:51:00 AM
- 'Fast & Furious 6' Opening Day Universal's Best-Ever in U.K.MSNEntertainment 5/18/2013 8:26:21 AM
- Good Morning, Cannes: Much Ado About Absolutely EverythingMSNEntertainment 5/18/2013 7:31:58 AM
- The Curious Case of Benicio del Toro in 'Jimmy P'MSNEntertainment 5/18/2013 3:29:59 AM
- Wentworth Media Launches to Finance, Produce MoviesMSNEntertainment 5/18/2013 2:00:07 AM
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' On $80M Pace After $21M Friday at Box Office
By Drew Mackie
For actors, versatility is a meal ticket -- not just the ability to do both comedy and drama but also to pass for someone a little bit older or a little bit younger... or a lot younger. Think about actresses in their twenties playing high school students, actress in their thirties playing nubile young women, and actresses in their fifties and sixties playing characters not stripped of their sexuality. It totally makes sense that actresses would want every shot they can get at a part.
RELATED: Happy 48th birthday, Demi!
It's for this reason, among others, that the Writers Guild of America is asking the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) to allow celebs and other movie-making folks to remove their birthdates from the site. It's not just actors; according to The Wrap, writers could also be discriminated against if they're older. And in all honestly, it's not A-listers like Nicole Kidman (who's 43), Julia Roberts (who's also 43) and Sandra Bullock (who's 46) who have been in the public eye for years and who will probably find work in Hollywood as long they want. It's the up-and-comers and lesser-knowns who would benefit most from an air of mystery around how long they've been around.
RELATED: See celeb fashion from the CMAs
But that's not to say that some stars just below the top wouldn't benefit as well. Consider Heather Locklear, who's not on the level of Kidman and company, but who has been in Hollywood, playing more-or-less similar, sexy roles for more than 30 years. Would she potentially be better able to score a role if someone could forget that she's 49 years old? It's a similar case for ladies like Michelle Pfeiffer, Meg Ryan, the cast of "Desperate Housewives" and the others included in this article's image gallery. As Allure points out, simply hiding your age is a better option than wrecking your body in an attempt to look young: "Obviously stars have been lying about their ages since the dawn of Hollywood, and now more than ever many are willing to use cosmetic procedures, personal trainers and any other anti-aging tools they can find to keep looking young."
IMDB officials have responded to the Writers Guild that the website isn't a promotional one but an informational one, and that actors' and crew members' profiles provide factual, biographical information. Furthermore, not every person on IMDB has their birthdate listed, so presumably a celeb-to-be could remain "ageless" until she makes it big. However, even if IMDB were to yank birthdates from profiles of celebs who feel their careers are being hurt, information about celebs exists everywhere online. Wikipedia, for example, lists the age of any notable person for whom that info is available.
RELATED: Celeb plastic surgery gone bad
It remains to be seen what IMDB will ultimately decide to do, but it's clear that celebs at least want a fair shake at playing five, ten, or 20 years beneath their actual age. Maybe Tuned In, Time magazine's TV blog, has the right idea: "I say we make a deal: Ditch the ages and replace them with detailed information of cosmetic-surgery procedures."
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersMiranda Kerr, Katy Perry, and Bjork all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Wants PrivacySelena Gomez doesn't like everyone knowing about her relationship with Justin Bieber, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Baby FaceCheck out the first pic of Malin Akerman's son -- a closeup of his adorable face -- on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite