Actress Nazanin Boniadi Audited to Be Tom Cruise's Girlfriend Pre-Katie Holmes: ReportRelated: Tom Cruise
- Photo: AB1/WENN1 of 20
- Photo: AP1/WENN2 of 20
- Photo: KH1/WENN3 of 20
- Photo: FS2/WENN4 of 20
- Photo: David Tonnessen/Pacific Coast News5 of 20
- Photo: NC1/TWT/WENN6 of 20
- Photo: Anonymous/AP7 of 20
- Photo: Jay Valena/Retna Digital8 of 20
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage9 of 20
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage10 of 20
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage11 of 20
- Photo: Soul Brother/Retna Ltd.12 of 20
- Photo: KEN KATZ/StarTraks13 of 20
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage14 of 20
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage15 of 20
- Photo: MIKE DISCIULLO/Bauer-Griffin16 of 20
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN17 of 20
- Photo: JAXN/GSI18 of 20
- Photo: USMagazine19 of 20
More Celeb News
- Thompson, Fantagraphics co-publisher, dies at 56MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 4:30:39 PM
- 'Hemlock Grove' Renewed for Season 2MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 4:19:55 PM
- Kelsey Grammer, Martin Lawrence Land Lawyer Comedy at FX MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:51:37 PM
- Music Journalist Chet Flippo Dead at 69MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:26:04 PM
- Owen Wilson and Woody Harrelson Go Back In Time in 'Free Bird's Trailer (Video)MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:01:15 PM
- Thompson, Fantagraphics co-publisher, dies at 56
As Tom Cruise attempts to move on from his split with Katie Holmes, alleged secrets from the actor's past are beginning to emerge.
In the October issue of Vanity Fair, special correspondent Maureen Orth claims that in 2004, Shelly Miscavige, wife of Scientology chief David Miscavige, was in charge of finding a suitable girlfriend for Cruise, who had recently split with his "Vanilla Sky" costar, Penelope Cruz. (The actor was married to Mimi Rogers from 1987 to 1990. He tied the knot a second time with Nicole Kidman in 1990; they split in 2001 and have two children, Isabella, 19, and Connor, 17.)
According to Orth's sources, the organization began by seeking out actresses who were already Scientology members. The women were called in, told they were auditioning for a new movie, and then asked a series of questions including: "What do you think of Tom Cruise?"
Marc Headley, a Scientologist from age 7, claims he watched several actresses' audition tapes when he was head of Scientology's in-house studio. "It's not like you only have to please your husband -- you have to toe the line for Scientology," Headley tells Orth. (Scientology representatives deny any search took place and dismissed the article's sources as disgruntled apostates.)
Orth claims Nazanin Boniadi, an Iranian-born, London-raised actress, was selected to date Cruise from Nov. 2004 until Jan. 2005.
"In a month-long preparation in October 2004, she was audited every day, a process in which she told a high-ranking Scientology official her innermost secrets and every detail of her sex life," Orth writes. "Boniadi allegedly was told to lose her braces, her red highlights, and her boyfriend." One source says Boniadi signed a confidentiality agreement.
Boniadi, 32, first met Cruise, 50, in New York City in November 2004, according to Orth's sources. "That's when she first sensed that this was possibly going to be an arranged marriage," Orth writes. After dining at Nobu with Cruise and "an entourage of Scientology aides," they retreated to Trump Tower, where Cruise and his entourage had rented an entire floor. "The two spent that first night together but, according to several sources, they did not have sex," Orth says.
During that date, Cruise reportedly told Boniadi, "I've never felt this way before." The actress was then asked to sign a second confidentiality agreement, this one specifically about Cruise.
According to Orth, Boniadi did eventually fall in love with Cruise, albeit briefly. The actor's frequent public displays of affection his intense adoration became overwhelming, Orth claims. "I get more love from an extra than I get from you," Cruise reportedly complained to Boniadi.
At one point, Boniadi moved into Cruise's home and they shared a bedroom; she was also given a credit card issued in the name of Cruise's production company.
After an incident in which Boniadi asked David Miscavige to repeat himself, Cruise barely acknowledged her, according to Orth. (In Scientology, the ability to have one's communication "land" is vital, and asking its chief to restate his sentence is considered highly offensive.)
By the third week in January, Boniadi was asked to move into Scientology's Celebrity Centre. It was there that she was told the Rock of Ages star "wants someone with her own power -- like Nicole." When Boniadi asked why Cruise would not break up with her in person, she was told he was not to be disturbed, Orth claims.
Boniadi was later sent to a Scientology center in Florida, where she reportedly broke down and told a pal about her relationship with Cruise. According to Orth's source, the pal reported Boniadi, and her punishment for violating her confidentiality agreement included scrubbing toilets with a toothbrush, cleaning bathroom tiles with acid and digging ditches in the middle of the night. She was later tasked with selling Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard's Dianetics on street corners.
A Scientology spokesperson denied Orth's source's claim, telling Vanity Fair: "The Church does not punish people, especially in [that] manner."
Cruise began dating Dawson's Creek star Holmes, 33, in early 2005. They welcomed a daughter, Suri, in April 2006 and tied the knot seven months later in Italy. In June 2012, Holmes reportedly blindsided Cruise when she filed for divorce. The two quickly reached a settlement, with Holmes receiving primary legal and physical custody of their daughter. The mother-daughter duo currently live together in New York City.
MORE FROM VANITY FAIR:
- Spike TV's 2013 Guys Choice Awards
- 2013 GLAAD Awards
- 2013 Coachella Hard Rock Lounge
- 2013 MTV Movie Awards
- Kids' Choice Awards 2013
- Elton John's Oscar Viewing Bash
- 2013 Grammy Awards
- 2013 Clive Davis Pre-Grammy Party
- 2013 Critics' Choice Movie Awards
- 2012 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 'Breaking Dawn: Part 2' Premiere Red Carpet
- 2012 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 MTV Video Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 MTV Movie Awards Red Carpet
- 'The Dictator' London Premiere
- 2012 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
- 2012 People's Choice Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 MTV Video Music Awards
- 2011 MTV Movie Awards
- 2011 Kids' Choice Awards Orange Carpet
- 2011 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
- 2011 Golden Globes NBC After Party Red Carpet
- 2011 People's Choice Awards Red Carpet
- 2010 American Music Awards Red Carpet
- 2010 MTV Video Music Awards White Carpet
- 2010 Emmy Awards Red Carpet
- Spike Awards Red Carpet
- MTV Movie Awards Red Carpet
- Wango Tango Red Carpet
- Hot Tub Time Machine Red Carpet
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Ashley Greene reveals a painful wound from a wild Bali vacation on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
From David Beckham to Ben Affleck, check out Hollywood's hottest dads.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite