Actress Swank 'regrets' attending Chechen concert
- Photo: Musa Sadulayev/Invision/AP1 of 11
- Photo: Musa Sadulayev/Invision/AP2 of 11
- Photo: Orchon/Retna Digital3 of 11
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP4 of 11
- Photo: Kika Press/PacificCoastNews.com5 of 11
- Photo: ST1/HSS/WENN6 of 11
- Photo: Patrick Hoffmann/WENN7 of 11
- Photo: INB/Ivan Nikolo/WENN8 of 11
- Photo: Fox Searchlight/Promotional9 of 11
- Photo: Splash News10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Grammy Awards Nominees: 10 Biggest Snubs and Surprises From Bruno Mars to Lady GagaMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 10:49:04 PM
- 'Swerve' Review: Jason Clarke Gives This Humdrum Noir Its Only ZingMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 10:15:18 PM
- Egyptian Documentary 'The Square' Wins Top IDA AwardMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 10:09:27 PM
- #ICYMI: Pop Culture's Craziest This Week- Ron Burgundy, Kardashian Christmas, 'SouMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 9:49:27 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: 'The Book Thief' Star Geoffrey Rush Heaps Praise on Co-SMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 9:11:18 PM
- Grammy Awards Nominees: 10 Biggest Snubs and Surprises From Bruno Mars to Lady Gaga
MOSCOW (AP) -- Hollywood celebrity Hilary Swank said she "deeply regrets" visiting a concert held on the birthday of the Kremlin-backed Chechen leader, who is accused of torture, abductions and killings by human rights groups.
The two-time Oscar winner said that she was unaware of the disappearances, house torchings and extrajudicial killings reportedly orchestrated by Ramzan Kadyrov in the southern Russian republic.
PHOTOS: Memorable Celeb Apologies
"I deeply regret attending this event," Swank said in a written message to The Associated Press. "If I had a full understanding of what this event was apparently intended to be, I would never have gone."
Swank issued the message after the Human Rights Watch criticized her — along with Belgian actor Jean Claude Van Damme, singer Seal and British violinist Vanessa Mae — for attending a show that, it says, "trivializes the suffering of countless victims of human rights abuses."
On Kadyrov's 35th birthday on Oct. 5, his government organized a lavish concert in Chechnya's provincial capital, Grozny, a city that has been in the process of restoration after widespread destruction from two wars between Chechen separatists and Moscow since 1994.
The celebrities — as well as dozens of Russian politicians and pop stars — showed up to congratulate Kadyrov from a stage arranged between a gigantic mosque and a newly built business center. During the birthday show, Swank said that she had been taken by the Chechen government's "passion to make peace and to make something beautiful." She claimed in her apology that her invitation to the concert made no mention of Kadyrov's birthday.
Under Kadyrov's leadership, Chechnya has become relatively quiet, and the insurgent violence has largely migrated to neighboring republics of the volatile Caucasus region. Kadyrov is a former separatist rebel who has boasted of killing his first Russian soldier at age 15. He switched his alliance to the federal side at the start of the second Chechen war in 1999.
PHOTOS: Celebrity Protesters
A string of Kadyrov's critics and political rivals have been brutally murdered in recent years in Russia, Austria and Dubai. Kadyrov has consistently denied involvement in any of the killings, saying the accusations are fabricated to blacken his name.
Swank won Oscars for her roles in "Boys Don't Cry" and "Million Dollar Baby." Her screen credits also include "Freedom Writers," "P.S. I Love You" and "Amelia."
Carrie Underwood tweets about her "Sound of Music" experience on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
See how Kim Kardashian, Fergie, Duchess Kate and more celebs look now that they've lost their pregnancy weight.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNothing to Hide
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite