Alison Brie on 'The Five-Year Engagement' & Wearing Fascinators: 'I Feel Like a Showgirl'Related: Celeb Spotlight
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage1 of 8
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage2 of 8
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage3 of 8
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage4 of 8
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com5 of 8
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage.com6 of 8
- Photo: Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com7 of 8
More Celeb News
- 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducteesMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 4:24:15 PM
- Why 'The Great Gatsby' Reveals A Huge Divide Between Hollywood And Its Fans (VideoMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 4:15:45 PM
- Oscar Winner Ari Sandel to Direct 'The DUFF' for CBS Films (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 3:55:03 PM
- Justin Bieber Spanked Over Monkey Lodging FeesMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 3:32:00 PM
- '21 Jump Street' Villain Rob Riggle Joins Fox Comedy 'Let's Be CMSNEntertainment 5/17/2013 3:20:36 PM
- 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees
It's official: Alison Brie is one of the coolest funny ladies around. We already loved her on "Mad Men" and "Community," but we think you will be just as obsessed with her after her role in "The Five-Year Engagement." Wonderwall got the chance to catch up with Alison Brie to talk about starring in the movie, rocking fascinators, and perfecting her British accent. Plus, she even details what it was like working with kids and why she loves "Community" so much.
You get to wear a fascinator in the movie, was that something you were excited to do -- especially after all the hype about them after the royal wedding?
Alison Brie: I feel like a showgirl in it. It was really fun. There are a lot of interesting clothes for me in this project. I'm kinda living this dream in a way.
Since this is a Jason Segel movie, we have to ask. Is the comedy more raunchy or highbrow?
You don't want the whole movie to be f---- and sh---. There's other comedy.
Was it hard to master a British accent, since you play Emily Blunt's sister in the movie?
Well, when they first approached me about the table read, and then they called me back and asked me to do a British accent, I had worked a bit with a CD. … And then I actually, embarrassingly rented "The Devil Wears Prada" and just watched Emily's scenes again and again, 'cause I was like I really wanna sound like Emily. Once we started to work on the film, I started working with a dialect coach. … [Then] Emily became on-set dialect coach. I think normally working with a dialect, you just get your lines, you memorize your lines, and it's really easy to finely tune an accent for those specific lines. But here, so much of it is improv. It's coming up with stuff, and then you pitching something, and then you guys creating new lines two minutes before you say them. So it's not all the improv in the moment, but I still just have five minutes to rework it in my head and run it past Emily maybe, and give it a go. I've been having fun with it.
Did Emily help you out with fine-tuning your British accent?
Emily is so great about it. She's so cool and helpful. And that was the whole point about it, that even working with a dialect coach, we didn't want to go too far and just sound super British, because they live in America. And I wanted to sound like Emily sounds.
As a person without kids, was it hard to adjust to working with kids of different ages through the five years that the movie covers?
We worked with a little girl, Zoe, who was 4. And we worked with little boys who were 2, or almost 2. The good news is I look like a really good mom, because they're holding onto me for dear life like "Nooooo! Save us from him [Chris Pratt, her husband in the movie]!"
What were the challenges of working with kids that you couldn't necessarily control?
You can't just get your kids to be quiet when you want them to be quiet. Also, Zoe, our daughter, she's adorable, but she does not like to sit still. I think the most difficult scene we filmed with her was where we just had to lay there and be asleep. And she was just kinda like, "Why?" She was like, "What if I lay and sleep like this?" And we were like, "No, people don't do that." But it's funny to have to explain the "why" of this job to a 4-year-old. It just doesn't make any sense to her. "Just lie here for five more minutes. They're gonna pay you a bunch of money to lie here."
What's the best part about working on your other comedic role on "Community?"
We're part of a good crowd, good company. And I think in that respect, we're able to be a bit more creative. I know that they give a lot of creative freedom to our showrunner, Dan Harmon, and I feel like we're able to push the envelope a little more, which is nice on a network television show ... to kinda feel like you can go outta bounds.
Get the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Victoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
See which celebs had the best and worst beach bodies of 2012.Watch Video »
Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Florence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersMiranda Kerr, Katy Perry, and Bjork all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Wants PrivacySelena Gomez doesn't like everyone knowing about her relationship with Justin Bieber, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Baby FaceCheck out the first pic of Malin Akerman's son -- a closeup of his adorable face -- on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite