Andrew Garfield escaped robbery with funeral lie
- Photo: Jason Redmond/Invision/AP1 of 11
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com2 of 11
- Photo: Humberto Carreno/Fame Flynet3 of 11
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com4 of 11
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP5 of 11
- Photo: Christopher Polk/KCA2012/Getty Images North America6 of 11
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com7 of 11
- Photo: Richie Buxo/Splash News8 of 11
- Photo: Nathanael Jones/Pacific Coast News9 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com10 of 11
More Celeb News
- 'Kelly & Cal' Review: New Mom Juliette Lewis Finds an Unlikely Suburban SoMSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 9:00:00 PM
- Talent Agents Adam Kanter, Martin Spencer Exit Resolution (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 8:14:00 PM
- 'Bad Words' Review: Jason Bateman's Directorial Debut Exhilarates Until IMSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 8:00:00 PM
- Newsweek Bitcoin Writer Fires Back at Tina Brown: 'I Have A Problem' With Her CommMSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 6:50:00 PM
- The Best. Baseball Movie. Ever (Guest Blog)MSNEntertainment 3/7/2014 5:54:00 PM
- 'Kelly & Cal' Review: New Mom Juliette Lewis Finds an Unlikely Suburban So
Spider-Man star Andrew Garfield talked his way out of trouble during a street robbery by pretending he was heading home from his mother's funeral.
RELATED: Hollywood's Hottest Bachelors
The actor reveals he has been a target for bullies most of his life, and had a torrid time at school when he was frequently picked on.
His luck didn't change when he left, and he was occasionally targeted by thieves as he walked through London - but on one occasion he told a grisly lie to put the crooks off.
RELATED: Hollywood's Most Boring Couples
Garfield tells GQ magazine, "I was very confused when I first went to school, and there was a kid who was just mean and I just didn't understand it, and right into my teenage years, where I would be mugged on the street, or when I was 17 or 18 and I was in drama school, and I wouldn't be able to do anything because there'd be three or four of them and they'd take my wallet, and I'd come home feeling so dis-empowered and so angry!"
RELATED: Hollywood's Greatest Girlfriends
"When I was in Swiss Cottage (north London), going to my girlfriend's and this guy caught me and told me to empty my pockets. I was so desperate that I lied and said, 'Listen, I've just come from my mother's funeral!' It was an awful thing to say, but it worked, and it made him see me (as a person), and he sat on the steps with me for 10 minutes instead, comforting me..."
"I've never told my mum about that, and it might really upset her. She'd be heartbroken!"
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
From Katy Perry and John Mayer to Paula Patton and Robin Thicke, get the scoop on all the breakups in Hollywood.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Julianne's hunky Canadian hockey beau on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on all the rumors surrounding Eva Mendes and Ryan Gosling on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite