Andrew Garfield escaped robbery with funeral lie
- Photo: Jason Redmond/Invision/AP1 of 11
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com2 of 11
- Photo: Humberto Carreno/Fame Flynet3 of 11
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com4 of 11
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP5 of 11
- Photo: Christopher Polk/KCA2012/Getty Images North America6 of 11
- Photo: PacificCoastNews.com7 of 11
- Photo: Richie Buxo/Splash News8 of 11
- Photo: Nathanael Jones/Pacific Coast News9 of 11
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Mark Ballas and Derek Hough Try Flipping Houses in 'Mark & Derek's ExcelleMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 10:00:00 PM
- Judge Approves Los Angeles Clippers Sale to Steve Ballmer, Regardless of AppealMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 7:50:00 PM
- Fan Who Threatened Michael Strahan Claims His Lawyer Is Part of the IlluminatiMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 7:26:00 PM
- The Bachelorette Finale: Who Did Andi Choose?MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 7:05:00 PM
- 'Once Upon a Time' Expands 'Frozen' Cast With Tyler Jacob Moore MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 6:48:00 PM
- Mark Ballas and Derek Hough Try Flipping Houses in 'Mark & Derek's Excelle
Spider-Man star Andrew Garfield talked his way out of trouble during a street robbery by pretending he was heading home from his mother's funeral.
RELATED: Hollywood's Hottest Bachelors
The actor reveals he has been a target for bullies most of his life, and had a torrid time at school when he was frequently picked on.
His luck didn't change when he left, and he was occasionally targeted by thieves as he walked through London - but on one occasion he told a grisly lie to put the crooks off.
RELATED: Hollywood's Most Boring Couples
Garfield tells GQ magazine, "I was very confused when I first went to school, and there was a kid who was just mean and I just didn't understand it, and right into my teenage years, where I would be mugged on the street, or when I was 17 or 18 and I was in drama school, and I wouldn't be able to do anything because there'd be three or four of them and they'd take my wallet, and I'd come home feeling so dis-empowered and so angry!"
RELATED: Hollywood's Greatest Girlfriends
"When I was in Swiss Cottage (north London), going to my girlfriend's and this guy caught me and told me to empty my pockets. I was so desperate that I lied and said, 'Listen, I've just come from my mother's funeral!' It was an awful thing to say, but it worked, and it made him see me (as a person), and he sat on the steps with me for 10 minutes instead, comforting me..."
"I've never told my mum about that, and it might really upset her. She'd be heartbroken!"
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite