Angelina Jolie's doctor praises her for mastectomy decision
- Photo: Getty Images North America1 of 13
- Photo: BJJ/Fame Flynet2 of 13
- Photo: Shizuo Kambayashi/Invision/AP3 of 13
- Photo: MNB/HSS/WENN4 of 13
- Photo: WENN5 of 13
- Photo: BB1/HSS/WENN6 of 13
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP7 of 13
- Photo: Invision/AP8 of 13
- Photo: Jon Furniss/Invision/Invision/AP9 of 13
- Photo: ZH1/ZJE/WENN10 of 13
- Photo: Lia Toby/WENN11 of 13
- Photo: APL/WENN12 of 13
More Celeb News
- CBS Renews The Big Bang Theory for Three More SeasonsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 9:58:00 AM
- Alan Thicke Reality Sitcom to Get 14-Episode Run on TV Guide NetworkMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 9:56:00 AM
- 'Masters of Sex' Casts Keke Palmer for Season 2MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 9:52:00 AM
- Neil Young Shatters Pono Music Kickstarter Goal in One DayMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 9:41:00 AM
- Biblical Scholar on 'Noah' Script: 'Anti-Human, Pro-Environmental PolemicMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 9:39:00 AM
- CBS Renews The Big Bang Theory for Three More Seasons
Angelina Jolie's personal doctor has heaped praise on the private Hollywood star for opting to go public with news of her double mastectomy.
Jolie made headlines in May when she revealed she had undergone the drastic surgery as a preventative measure after doctors warned her she was at high risk of developing breast cancer.
RELATED: Hollywood's palest celeb countdown
Now Dr. Kristi Funk tells Los Angeles magazine Jolie had decided early on she would make an announcement about the procedures, but "waited to find the perfect timing in her personal and professional life, but, I think most importantly, in her soul."
Funk has applauded Jolie for inspiring others, telling the September issue of the publication, "When someone who is arguably the most beautiful woman in the world removes the part of her body that is symbolic of femininity and sexuality, you have to say, 'Why would she do that?' "She is intensely private, but she calculated the moment when she would be ready to reveal something so personal... She knew always that in her philanthropic core she couldn't keep this a secret and be who she is. She always knew."
Jolie, whose mother Marcheline Bertrand lost her battle with ovarian cancer in 2007, underwent almost three months of medical procedures in secret, beginning Feb. 2 and ending on April 27.
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
From Channing Tatum to Jennifer Lawrence, see which celebs got their start modeling.Watch Video »
From the Atkins Diet to aerial fitness classes, see what stars like Kim Kardashian, Jessica Alba and Beyonce do to keep in shape.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite