Anjelica Huston named PETA Person of the Year
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/StarTraks1 of 6
- Photo: DAN STEINBERG/Invision/AP2 of 6
- Photo: Vanity Fair/Retna Ltd.3 of 6
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 6
- Photo: Tristar Pictures/Promotional5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Top 20 TV Ratings: Newbies 'Mysteries of Laura,' 'Madam Secretary&apoMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 1:35:00 PM
- Charlie Sheen Plans 'Two and a Half Men' Return: 'I Owe It to the Fans&amMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 1:01:00 PM
- Cinematography Awards Go to John Bailey TwiceMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 12:50:00 PM
- Zach Knighton, Isabelle McNally Wrap Unromantic Comedy 'The Big Spoon'MSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 12:40:00 PM
- Los Angeles Register Newspaper Ending Operations After Just 5 MonthsMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 12:25:00 PM
- Top 20 TV Ratings: Newbies 'Mysteries of Laura,' 'Madam Secretary&apo
By firstname.lastname@example.org (WENN Newsdesk)
Anjelica Huston has been crowned People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals' Person of the Year for campaigning to keep chimpanzees out of TV commercials.
RELATED: Wendy Williams poses nude for PETA
Thanks to "The Witches" star's volunteerism and work as a narrator of a hard-hitting video expose about how great apes suffer in the entertainment industry, the top 10 advertising agencies in the U.S. have adopted policies to stop using chimps in their ads.
A PETA spokesperson says, "The actor sent her video to agency chiefs across the country, showing them exactly how great apes are torn away from their mothers shortly after birth and frequently beaten during training to perform in ads for companies such as Dodge, Europcar, Pfizer, Samsung, and Travelers Insurance, all of which pulled their ads after talks with PETA."
Representative Wendy Wegner adds, "Anjelica Huston is a true friend to all animals and the perfect choice for PETA's Person of the Year 2012."
Huston also spoke out against New York's controversial horse-drawn carriage industry in 2012 and campaigned against the use of fur as a style item -- even though she was once a slave to fur fashions.
She says, "I grew up in Ireland and used to wear fur. I had a change of heart when I learned how minks and foxes on fur farms are crammed into tiny, dirty cages and driven so crazy by the confinement that many ... cannibalize their cage mates."
Previous PETA Persons of the Year include Bill Clinton, Ellen DeGeneres and Russell Simmons.
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
See how Kate Hudson embraces Instagram on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Sexy TV Stars
From Sofia Vergara to Justin Theroux, check out the rest of TV's hottest stars.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTInspiring Hubby!
From Crowd Ignite