Anjelica Huston named PETA Person of the Year
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/StarTraks1 of 6
- Photo: DAN STEINBERG/Invision/AP2 of 6
- Photo: Vanity Fair/Retna Ltd.3 of 6
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 6
- Photo: Tristar Pictures/Promotional5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Entertainment One Developing Bible-Mafia Drama Mashup 'King David'MSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 5:12:35 PM
- 'Law & Order: SVU' Star Dann Florek Exits ShowMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 4:33:02 PM
- 'Blue Jasmine' Will Be Back in 300 Theaters After Cate Blanchett's AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 3:54:06 PM
- NBC's 'The Sound of Music Live' to Re-Air on SaturdayMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 3:32:51 PM
- 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Mama Joyce Rampage Earns Season-High RatingsMSNEntertainment 12/10/2013 3:32:22 PM
- Entertainment One Developing Bible-Mafia Drama Mashup 'King David'
By firstname.lastname@example.org (WENN Newsdesk)
Anjelica Huston has been crowned People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals' Person of the Year for campaigning to keep chimpanzees out of TV commercials.
RELATED: Wendy Williams poses nude for PETA
Thanks to "The Witches" star's volunteerism and work as a narrator of a hard-hitting video expose about how great apes suffer in the entertainment industry, the top 10 advertising agencies in the U.S. have adopted policies to stop using chimps in their ads.
A PETA spokesperson says, "The actor sent her video to agency chiefs across the country, showing them exactly how great apes are torn away from their mothers shortly after birth and frequently beaten during training to perform in ads for companies such as Dodge, Europcar, Pfizer, Samsung, and Travelers Insurance, all of which pulled their ads after talks with PETA."
Representative Wendy Wegner adds, "Anjelica Huston is a true friend to all animals and the perfect choice for PETA's Person of the Year 2012."
Huston also spoke out against New York's controversial horse-drawn carriage industry in 2012 and campaigned against the use of fur as a style item -- even though she was once a slave to fur fashions.
She says, "I grew up in Ireland and used to wear fur. I had a change of heart when I learned how minks and foxes on fur farms are crammed into tiny, dirty cages and driven so crazy by the confinement that many ... cannibalize their cage mates."
Previous PETA Persons of the Year include Bill Clinton, Ellen DeGeneres and Russell Simmons.
Victoria’s Secret Angel Candice Swanepoel talks to WW about wearing the $10 million bra, eating steak, Taylor Swift and if she plans to marry her boyfriend.Watch Video »
Bye, Bye 'RHOC'
Former "Housewife" Lydia McLaughlin dishes about leaving the "RHOC," her stance on plastic surgery and more!Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHoliday Spirit
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite