Anjelica Huston named PETA Person of the Year
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/StarTraks1 of 6
- Photo: DAN STEINBERG/Invision/AP2 of 6
- Photo: Vanity Fair/Retna Ltd.3 of 6
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 6
- Photo: Tristar Pictures/Promotional5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Malcolm McDowell Joins Gael Garcia Bernal in 'Mozart in the Jungle'MSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 6:15:10 AM
- 'Decoding Annie Parker' Starring Helen Hunt, Samantha Morton Picked Up By eOne FilMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 6:57:26 PM
- 'Anchorman' Ron Burgundy ESPN Gig Canceled Due to Jameis Winston CoverageMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 6:47:39 PM
- Song Smashup Showdown: Which 2013 Year-End Pop Music Collaboration Is Best?MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 6:39:52 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: 'Epic' Director Chris Wedge Calls Animated Filmmaking a MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 6:32:13 PM
- Malcolm McDowell Joins Gael Garcia Bernal in 'Mozart in the Jungle'
By email@example.com (WENN Newsdesk)
Anjelica Huston has been crowned People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals' Person of the Year for campaigning to keep chimpanzees out of TV commercials.
RELATED: Wendy Williams poses nude for PETA
Thanks to "The Witches" star's volunteerism and work as a narrator of a hard-hitting video expose about how great apes suffer in the entertainment industry, the top 10 advertising agencies in the U.S. have adopted policies to stop using chimps in their ads.
A PETA spokesperson says, "The actor sent her video to agency chiefs across the country, showing them exactly how great apes are torn away from their mothers shortly after birth and frequently beaten during training to perform in ads for companies such as Dodge, Europcar, Pfizer, Samsung, and Travelers Insurance, all of which pulled their ads after talks with PETA."
Representative Wendy Wegner adds, "Anjelica Huston is a true friend to all animals and the perfect choice for PETA's Person of the Year 2012."
Huston also spoke out against New York's controversial horse-drawn carriage industry in 2012 and campaigned against the use of fur as a style item -- even though she was once a slave to fur fashions.
She says, "I grew up in Ireland and used to wear fur. I had a change of heart when I learned how minks and foxes on fur farms are crammed into tiny, dirty cages and driven so crazy by the confinement that many ... cannibalize their cage mates."
Previous PETA Persons of the Year include Bill Clinton, Ellen DeGeneres and Russell Simmons.
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From slicked back hair to drop-crotch pants, check out some of the biggest fashion blunders of the year.Watch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out which of Hollywood's geeky guys get all the hottest ladies.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTYear in Romance
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite