Anne Hathaway gets emotional at cancer benefit
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP1 of 11
- Photo: Imeh Akpanudosen/Getty Images North America2 of 11
- Photo: LRC/ZOJ/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage4 of 11
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP5 of 11
- Photo: Fame Flynet6 of 11
- Photo: GEVA/GSI7 of 11
- Photo: Ralph/PacificCoastNews.com8 of 11
- Photo: JM5/WENN9 of 11
- Photo: Splash News10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Justin Bieber Apologizes for Visiting Tokyo Shrine Honoring War CriminalsMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 8:00:00 AM
- HBO Shows Are Coming to Amazon PrimeMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 7:40:00 AM
- Who Was Named People's "Most Beautiful" Star? MSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 6:42:00 AM
- Bachelorette Contestant in a Coma After Paragliding AccidentMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 6:42:00 AM
- Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir Join NBC's Kentucky Derby CoverageMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 6:41:00 AM
- Justin Bieber Apologizes for Visiting Tokyo Shrine Honoring War Criminals
While hosting Elyse Walker's ninth-annual Pink Party, Anne Hathaway was reduced to tears when recalling her friend's recent cancer battle.
Hathaway hosted the event, her first time attending it, in Santa Monica, Calif., on Oct. 19 to benefit the Women's Cancer Program at Cedars-Sinai's Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute.
While introducing the doctor who helped her friend defeat cancer, Dr. Beth Y. Karlan, the "Les Misérables" actress broke down in tears, thanking her for saving her friend's life.
"I told [my friend] when she was going through [her cancer battle] if there was ever anything I could do to support the organization that was supporting her that I hope she wouldn't hesitate to ask, and so then they asked me to come be a part of the Pink Party this year," Hathaway said before the event, which raised $1.7 million for the Women's Cancer Program.
Hathaway was one of many celebrities who attended the event amid the over 800 guests who rallied together to support the cause.
Kate Beckinsale, Rachel Zoe, Usher, Jessica Capshaw, Brooke Burke, Michael Chiklis, Aimee Garcia, Maria Bello, Francesca Eastwood, Brenda Song, Paz Vega, and even the L.A. Dodgers' Yasiel Puig flocked to Hangar 8 at the Santa Monica Airport for the philanthropic cause.
Considering cancer's wide scope of affliction, many of the celebrities in attendance had their own personal experiences with cancer through their loved ones that inspired them to continue to raise awareness and funds for further research to combat the disease.
"Cancer is a plague, honestly it is," said fashion stylist Rachel Zoe. "My family's been plagued with it. ... My sister's battling breast cancer right now; my mother had it. ... It's just one of those things. You got to come and support; you got to raise awareness. We have to figure out how to cure this."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Watch as Carrie Underwood talks about married life on Ellen.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBaby Girl!
From Crowd Ignite