Anne Hathaway gets emotional at cancer benefit
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP1 of 11
- Photo: Imeh Akpanudosen/Getty Images North America2 of 11
- Photo: LRC/ZOJ/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage4 of 11
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP5 of 11
- Photo: Fame Flynet6 of 11
- Photo: GEVA/GSI7 of 11
- Photo: Ralph/PacificCoastNews.com8 of 11
- Photo: JM5/WENN9 of 11
- Photo: Splash News10 of 11
More Celeb News
- FX Boss John Landgraf Clarifies 'True Detective' Remark Calm Down People, He&MSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Auschwitz Selfie' Outrage: But You're Supposed to Take PicturesMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 3:41:00 PM
- Marvel Announces Another 2018 ReleaseMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 3:08:00 PM
- Tommy Lee Jones Joins Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman in 'Criminal'MSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 2:45:00 PM
- 'Gotham' Creator on Why Batman Would Spell the End of the ShowMSNEntertainment 7/23/2014 2:24:00 PM
- FX Boss John Landgraf Clarifies 'True Detective' Remark Calm Down People, He&
While hosting Elyse Walker's ninth-annual Pink Party, Anne Hathaway was reduced to tears when recalling her friend's recent cancer battle.
Hathaway hosted the event, her first time attending it, in Santa Monica, Calif., on Oct. 19 to benefit the Women's Cancer Program at Cedars-Sinai's Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute.
While introducing the doctor who helped her friend defeat cancer, Dr. Beth Y. Karlan, the "Les Misérables" actress broke down in tears, thanking her for saving her friend's life.
"I told [my friend] when she was going through [her cancer battle] if there was ever anything I could do to support the organization that was supporting her that I hope she wouldn't hesitate to ask, and so then they asked me to come be a part of the Pink Party this year," Hathaway said before the event, which raised $1.7 million for the Women's Cancer Program.
Hathaway was one of many celebrities who attended the event amid the over 800 guests who rallied together to support the cause.
Kate Beckinsale, Rachel Zoe, Usher, Jessica Capshaw, Brooke Burke, Michael Chiklis, Aimee Garcia, Maria Bello, Francesca Eastwood, Brenda Song, Paz Vega, and even the L.A. Dodgers' Yasiel Puig flocked to Hangar 8 at the Santa Monica Airport for the philanthropic cause.
Considering cancer's wide scope of affliction, many of the celebrities in attendance had their own personal experiences with cancer through their loved ones that inspired them to continue to raise awareness and funds for further research to combat the disease.
"Cancer is a plague, honestly it is," said fashion stylist Rachel Zoe. "My family's been plagued with it. ... My sister's battling breast cancer right now; my mother had it. ... It's just one of those things. You got to come and support; you got to raise awareness. We have to figure out how to cure this."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBuff Babe
From Crowd Ignite