- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP1 of 9
- Photo: GVK/Bauer-Griffin2 of 9
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin3 of 9
- Photo: BSD/RSM/MWM/ZO9/WENN4 of 9
- Photo: Anja Niedringhaus/AP5 of 9
- Photo: Splash News6 of 9
- Photo: Splash News/Splash News7 of 9
- Photo: IGNAT/Bauer-Griffin8 of 9
More Celeb News
- 'The Hangover Part III' Review: Thank God for Peculiar, Perverse - and OutrageouslMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 10:10:35 PM
- Zendaya on top heading into Dancing with the Stars finaleMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 8:55:32 PM
- Sleepless in Cannes: Moguls Haunt the Majestic Hotel Bar MSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 8:03:47 PM
- It Took a 'Blind' Director to Look Past Casting Me ... an AmputeeMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 7:24:38 PM
- Kelly Rowland & Paulina Rubio confirmed for X FactorMSNEntertainment 5/20/2013 7:23:12 PM
- 'The Hangover Part III' Review: Thank God for Peculiar, Perverse - and Outrageousl
On a summer afternoon in 2010, Anne Hathaway walked into New York's Union Square noodle bar Republic with her boyfriend, Adam Shulman, for lunch. The couple looked low-key and inconspicuous. They carried shopping bags and sat side by side at a corner table. She ordered the Asian chopped salad. "Is there romaine?" she asked the waiter. When the kitchen forgot to include a side of peanuts, Shulman helped wave down the waiter for his girlfriend.
Then the check arrived. "It was $25," the waiter remembers. They put down two credit cards, just like any other broke New York couple. "I guess I just expected, she's a movie star, so she could pick up a check or her boyfriend would," the waiter recalls.
RELATED ON THE DAILY BEAST: Kate Middleton's Christmas: What the Duchess of Cambridge might wear
Shulman, who announced his engagement to Hathaway last week, is nothing like her previous fiancé. He is the anti–Raffaello Follieri, the lavish guy who whisked Hathaway to dinner via jet in the Dominican Republic home of Oscar de la Renta, who showered her with jewelry, who chaperoned her around the world on private planes and yachts. But that all ended with a catastrophic boom when Follieri was arrested in June 2008 and charged with wire fraud and money laundering in a scheme involving $50 million, the Vatican, and the fleecing of investors like supermarket billionaire Ron Burkle. The FBI seized Hathaway's diaries from Follieri's $37,000-a-month apartment in Trump Tower, and there was talk in gossip columns that Hathaway had lured Follieri to New York for his arrest. A few months later, Follieri pleaded guilty to 14 counts of conspiracy, fraud, and money laundering, and he is still in federal prison, serving the end of a four-year prison sentence.
RELATED ON THE DAILY BEAST: Hollywood's new breakout star: A Jack Russell terrier named Uggie
It's bad enough for a major Hollywood star to have a big public breakup, but Hathaway's was on steroids, and it came just before her Oscar nomination for Rachel Getting Married. In her first post-Follieri interview, with W magazine, she described how she wept while visiting Jonathan Demme's home in Nyack, N.Y. "They all had so much going on. And I just started to cry because I thought, I don't have a life right now," Hathaway said. "And I haven't for some time, and I just haven't noticed." She went on to tell the magazine that she hoped her next project would be working with Demme as a production assistant on his documentary about Bob Marley. "In the fall I'll start focusing again,” she told W. "But right now I need to be me for a little bit."
She never really took that time. By the fall, she was suddenly showing up with Shulman at events. He looked like Ryan Gosling and dressed like a hipster, but there were scant details known about his life. The press pounced: Who was he? Was he a rebound? A fling? An opportunist? In November 2008, with Hathaway at a New Orleans screening of Rachel Getting Married, Shulman told Life & Style: "We met through mutual friends." Hathaway has seemed over the moon. "I am very much in love with him," she told Marie Claire in September. "Adam totally ruined my plan. I was really actually looking forward to a little alone time and then I fell in love like a fool!"
RELATED ON THE DAILY BEAST: Angelina Jolie goes to war with new film
The couple has spent the majority of their courtship in a downtown Brooklyn apartment. Over the weekend, they moved into different apartments but remain in Brooklyn. Shulman is often spotted walking Hathaway's chocolate Lab, Esmerelda, a gift from Follieri. They opt for local hangouts like Building on Bond, where they're regulars. "He's wonderfully kind, really really nice, a really good dude," says the restaurant's manager. "He's just a regular guy. I prefer not to say anything else."
In Hathaway's previous relationship, Follieri was the big spender, but Shulman's career trajectory has been less flashy. He graduated from Brown's drama department in 2003 and went on to make a handful of appearances in NBC's "American Dreams" (2005) and the TV movie "The Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning." He now lists jewelry designer as his official occupation; he and a self-taught silversmith named Heidi Nahser Fink, from San Francisco, make sterling-silver and copper one-inch butterfly pendants that retail for $250.
RELATED ON THE DAILY BEAST: Counting down the Kardashian family lawsuits
Shulman's résumé also includes a Burger King commercial, something that the paparazzi still mock him about. Dressed in a tennis shirt and shorts, Shulman flashes two large chicken sandwiches in a brief TV ad. “We called him BK Boy and he gets upset," says a New York City paparazzo who frequently stalks the couple. "He'll say, 'Oh, f--k you, get a real job,' and we'll say, 'Oh, you want us to get a real job? We have a real job. You're doing Burger King commercials; you're holding up burgers.'"
Like Follieri, Shulman suffers from sticky fingers, too. But he doesn't steal from billionaires. In May 2010, he swiped a street-art project, presumably for kicks. A New York Post photographer captured Shulman and a pal stealing a portion of a meatpacking-district mural painted on a construction barrier by well-known street artist Mr. Brainwash. A witness told the Post that after the pair unscrewed the painting, "they took off like a ball of fire." When the photo was published, it drew the attention -- and ire -- of the property owner where the mural hung. Ken Hart, president of H&H Builders, reportedly threatened to file theft charges against Shulman if he didn't bring back the art. A contrite Shulman reportedly phoned an apology to Hart and returned the art. No charges were filed. (Hart did not reply to queries from Newsweek/The Daily Beast.)
RELATED ON THE DAILY BEAST: What stars like Angelina Jolie and Justin Bieber would do if they weren't famous
Before college, Shulman lived in the tiny Boston suburb of Weston, Mass. His father, Mark, is a longtime retail executive who has headed Filene's Basement, Henri Bendel, and Ann Taylor. His friends from Brown declined to comment, as did his former professors. When reached by phone at an address in Connecticut, his mother was gracious and warm as she declined an interview, telling me I sounded nice. "I can't," she said. "Adam would get upset. You should reach out to his people." I hung up. Then I called her back to point out that he has no people, but she wouldn't pick up her phone.
It's hard to tell what prompts all this secrecy. Is Shulman the rare celebrity boyfriend who hates the spotlight? Is Hathaway overcorrecting for her previous fiancé meltdown? She used to speak about Follieri openly, in interview after interview, but she seems much more guarded now. She told Marie Claire U.K. in September as much, saying that "you do need to keep your private life private."
RELATED ON THE DAILY BEAST: Celebrity twitpics: Jason Segel, Olivia Wilde, Kellan Lutz and more
A few days ago, I was completely surprised to find an email from Shulman himself, a response to my request for an interview. It was short but sincere. He thanked me for congratulating him on the engagement, and referred me to Hathaway's publicist for any questions. "Hope you have a wonderful weekend and that you get to enjoy it. It's such a beautiful day!" he said.
A few hours later, Stephen Huvane, Hathaway's publicist, emailed me. "This is just not something that interests him," he wrote. And that was the end of my search for Adam Shulman.
- 7 of Rihanna's Worst Looks
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 17, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 16, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 15, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 14, 2013
- 7 Most Outrageous Gwyneth Paltrow Quotes
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 10, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 9, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 8, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 7, 2013
- 7 Best Bikini Bods
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 3, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 2, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 1, 2013
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
Florence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Victoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Queen's FeastBeyonce had a major feast in Dublin, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Bump DebutSelena Gomez breaks some pregnancy news on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
- Beers With BieberJustin Bieber shares photos of his beer-drinking safari on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Missing Miley?Get the scoop on the newest breakup rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Visiting U.S.Prince Harry is visiting the United States again, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite