Arnold Schwarzenegger: Affair With Housekeeper Mildred Baena Was 'Stupidest Thing I've Done' to Maria Shriver
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP1 of 8
- Photo: Steve Yeater/Invision/AP2 of 8
- Photo: David Fisher/Rex USA3 of 8
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage4 of 8
- Photo: J. Scott Applewhite/Invision/AP5 of 8
- Photo: RHA/ZOB/WENN6 of 8
- Photo: Lionel Cirroneau/Invision/AP7 of 8
More Celeb News
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 5:00:00 PM
- Ray J Arraigned for Sexual Battery, Vandalism and Resisting ArrestMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:59:00 PM
- Mark Wahlberg in Talks to Star in J.C. Chandor's 'Deepwater Horizon'MSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:49:00 PM
- 'The Gunfighter' Director Eric Kissack on How He Cast Nick Offerman: TheWrap&aMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Benedict Cumberbatch Joins WB's 'Jungle Book' as Voice of Shere KhanMSNEntertainment 8/19/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Suits Midseason Finale: Where Does Louis Go From Here?
Arnold Schwarzenegger knows he made a major mistake.
In an interview with "60 Minutes" airing Sept. 30, the former Republican governor of California, 65, speaks candidly about his extramarital affair with housekeeper Mildred Baena that resulted in the birth of his fifth child, Joseph, 14. (The shocking news of Schwarzenegger's infidelity and secret son was not revealed until May 2011.)
Reporter Lesley Stahl reminds Schwarzenegger that his wife of 25 years, Maria Shriver, "gave up her television career" to support his dreams. "I mean, wow! Was this just the most unbelievable act of betrayal to Maria?"
"I think it was the stupidest thing I've done in the whole relationship," the "Terminator" actor replies. "It was terrible. I inflicted tremendous pain on Maria and unbelievable pain on the kids." (Schwarzenegger and Shriver, 56, are parents to Katherine, 22, Christina, 21, Patrick, 19, and Christopher, 15.)
Schwarzenegger appears on the program to promote his new autobiography, "Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story." In recently released excerpts from the memoir, the ex-bodybuilder admits he did not confess to fathering a child with Baena until a Jan. 4, 2011 couples' counseling session. "The minute we sat down, the therapist turned to me and said, 'Maria wanted to come here today and to ask about a child -- whether you fathered a child with your housekeeper Mildred,'" Schwarzenegger writes. "I told the therapist, 'It's true.'"
Shriver waited to confront Schwarzenegger about his affair until after his term as governor had ended. When she did, the politician begged his wife to forgive him, admitting he "screwed up." They announced their separation on May 9, 2011, but Schwarzenegger still hopes to reconcile with the activist and author. "You can call this denial," he writes. "But it's the way my mind works."
"60 Minutes" airs Sunday, September 30, at 7 p.m. EST on CBS.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite