Arnold Schwarzenegger: Affair With Housekeeper Mildred Baena Was 'Stupidest Thing I've Done' to Maria Shriver
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP1 of 8
- Photo: Steve Yeater/Invision/AP2 of 8
- Photo: David Fisher/Rex USA3 of 8
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage4 of 8
- Photo: J. Scott Applewhite/Invision/AP5 of 8
- Photo: RHA/ZOB/WENN6 of 8
- Photo: Lionel Cirroneau/Invision/AP7 of 8
More Celeb News
- Jon Stewart's 'Rosewater' Lands Prime Awards Season Release DateMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:27:00 AM
- Casting Director Marion Dougherty to Receive Posthumous EmmyMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:13:00 AM
- Spike Jonze to Guest Star on HBO's 'Girls'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:03:00 AM
- Hearst Grabs Principato-Young's Corey Moss to Make Web SeriesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 11:00:00 AM
- 'Gone Girl' Beauty Emily Ratajkowski Joins Zac Efron in 'We Are Your FrieMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 10:57:00 AM
- Jon Stewart's 'Rosewater' Lands Prime Awards Season Release Date
Arnold Schwarzenegger knows he made a major mistake.
In an interview with "60 Minutes" airing Sept. 30, the former Republican governor of California, 65, speaks candidly about his extramarital affair with housekeeper Mildred Baena that resulted in the birth of his fifth child, Joseph, 14. (The shocking news of Schwarzenegger's infidelity and secret son was not revealed until May 2011.)
Reporter Lesley Stahl reminds Schwarzenegger that his wife of 25 years, Maria Shriver, "gave up her television career" to support his dreams. "I mean, wow! Was this just the most unbelievable act of betrayal to Maria?"
"I think it was the stupidest thing I've done in the whole relationship," the "Terminator" actor replies. "It was terrible. I inflicted tremendous pain on Maria and unbelievable pain on the kids." (Schwarzenegger and Shriver, 56, are parents to Katherine, 22, Christina, 21, Patrick, 19, and Christopher, 15.)
Schwarzenegger appears on the program to promote his new autobiography, "Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story." In recently released excerpts from the memoir, the ex-bodybuilder admits he did not confess to fathering a child with Baena until a Jan. 4, 2011 couples' counseling session. "The minute we sat down, the therapist turned to me and said, 'Maria wanted to come here today and to ask about a child -- whether you fathered a child with your housekeeper Mildred,'" Schwarzenegger writes. "I told the therapist, 'It's true.'"
Shriver waited to confront Schwarzenegger about his affair until after his term as governor had ended. When she did, the politician begged his wife to forgive him, admitting he "screwed up." They announced their separation on May 9, 2011, but Schwarzenegger still hopes to reconcile with the activist and author. "You can call this denial," he writes. "But it's the way my mind works."
"60 Minutes" airs Sunday, September 30, at 7 p.m. EST on CBS.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHello Hotness!
From Crowd Ignite