Ben Affleck: I was the person to loathe
- Photo: Marco Provvisionato/StarTraks1 of 8
- Photo: Kim D. Johnson/Invision/AP2 of 8
- Photo: Sebastian Kim/GQ3 of 8
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage4 of 8
- Photo: Matt Baron/Rex USA5 of 8
- Photo: FS2/WENN6 of 8
- Photo: Jim Smeal / BEImages/Rex USA7 of 8
More Celeb News
- John Travolta cannot stop ex-pilot's tell-all lawsuit, court saysMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Walking Dead' Star Steven Yeun Is Writing and Producing His Own Projects to CreatMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:45:00 PM
- Jeff Blake's Departure at Sony Leaves Amy Pascal With No One Else to BlameMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Mega Buzz: Chicago Fire's Triangle, a Scandal Death and Sleepy Sneakiness MSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Ken Burns 'Thrilled' About Central Park Five SettlementMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:27:00 PM
- John Travolta cannot stop ex-pilot's tell-all lawsuit, court says
Ben Affleck has lately been quite vocal about the "insane" Bennifer years, even telling GQ magazine that when he was seeing Jennifer Lopez, the media treatment he received seemed worse than what the press was saying about convicted killer Scott Peterson at the time.
"I was the guy. I was the designated person to loathe," he recalls. "What was that guy's name who killed his wife and dumped her off the side of a boat? Peterson. I remember thinking he actually gets slightly better treatment than I do in the press. At least they had to say 'alleged killer.'"
Affleck and Lopez broke off their engagement days before their wedding, leading to reports that the actor was unfaithful. Years later, Affleck, who is now married and has three kids with Jennifer Garner, seems to be taking some responsibility for all the bad press. "The amount of venom — I must have touched some specific little place in the consciousness," he says. "I don't believe I didn't deserve any negative judgment for anything, but it was just way out of whack."
The "Argo" actor, 40, says his solution to this tumultuous time was just to escape. "I think I just ran away," he tells GQ. "You can only handle so much. I moved for a while to this place in Georgia that I have, was able to get away, by and large, from stuff. Come up with a plan for how to do something with my life that doesn't put me in the crosshairs of this sort of thing."
He adds that the Bennifer era "was really bad for me in all kinds of different ways, particularly in terms of my emotional life, my sense of self."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Reese Witherspoon shares photos of her burgeoning friendship with Sofia Vergara on Instagram on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTexas Heat
From Crowd Ignite