Ben Affleck: I was the person to loathe
- Photo: Marco Provvisionato/StarTraks1 of 8
- Photo: Kim D. Johnson/Invision/AP2 of 8
- Photo: Sebastian Kim/GQ3 of 8
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage4 of 8
- Photo: Matt Baron/Rex USA5 of 8
- Photo: FS2/WENN6 of 8
- Photo: Jim Smeal / BEImages/Rex USA7 of 8
More Celeb News
- Miles Teller on Lending Clothes to Hook-Ups: 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back' (PhMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:17:00 AM
- 'Working the Engels' Canceled by NBCMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:07:00 AM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 1:05 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:05:40 AM
- Obama: 'Entire World Is Appalled' by James Foley's MurderMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 9:57:00 AM
- Billy Crystal to Present Robin Williams Tribute at EmmysMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 9:30:00 AM
- Miles Teller on Lending Clothes to Hook-Ups: 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back' (Ph
Ben Affleck has lately been quite vocal about the "insane" Bennifer years, even telling GQ magazine that when he was seeing Jennifer Lopez, the media treatment he received seemed worse than what the press was saying about convicted killer Scott Peterson at the time.
"I was the guy. I was the designated person to loathe," he recalls. "What was that guy's name who killed his wife and dumped her off the side of a boat? Peterson. I remember thinking he actually gets slightly better treatment than I do in the press. At least they had to say 'alleged killer.'"
Affleck and Lopez broke off their engagement days before their wedding, leading to reports that the actor was unfaithful. Years later, Affleck, who is now married and has three kids with Jennifer Garner, seems to be taking some responsibility for all the bad press. "The amount of venom — I must have touched some specific little place in the consciousness," he says. "I don't believe I didn't deserve any negative judgment for anything, but it was just way out of whack."
The "Argo" actor, 40, says his solution to this tumultuous time was just to escape. "I think I just ran away," he tells GQ. "You can only handle so much. I moved for a while to this place in Georgia that I have, was able to get away, by and large, from stuff. Come up with a plan for how to do something with my life that doesn't put me in the crosshairs of this sort of thing."
He adds that the Bennifer era "was really bad for me in all kinds of different ways, particularly in terms of my emotional life, my sense of self."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXT8 Ice Buckets
From Crowd Ignite