Ben Affleck: 'I think Republicans really had a chance'
- Photo: IPA PRESS/Bauer-Griffin1 of 16
- Photo: Brent Perniac/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.2 of 16
- Photo: GTRES/Fame Flynet3 of 16
- Photo: Pablo/Fame Flynet4 of 16
- Photo: Nousha Salimi/Invision/AP5 of 16
- Photo: Mark Seliger/Details6 of 16
- Photo: Mark Seliger/Details7 of 16
- Photo: Mark Seliger/Details8 of 16
- Photo: Survivor/PacificCoastNews.com9 of 16
- Photo: Fame Flynet10 of 16
- Photo: Kim D. Johnson/Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: NAV/Fame Flynet12 of 16
- Photo: STEFANO MICOZZI/Insidefo/StarTraks13 of 16
- Photo: Alex J. Berliner / BEImages/Rex USA14 of 16
- Photo: JIM COOPER/Invision/AP15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&aposMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:24:00 PM
- 8 Things That Will and 2 Things That (Probably) Won't Happen on Big Bang Theory Season 8MSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:19:00 PM
- Leonardo DiCaprio Adds Star Power to People's Climate March in New YorkMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:41:00 PM
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Crosses $250 Million at Overseas Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:05:00 PM
- Lauryn Hill Slammed on Twitter for 'Utter Shi-' Performance and 90 Minute Late ArrMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:38:00 AM
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&apos
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) -- Ben Affleck is comparing Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney to past campaign losers Al Gore, Michael Dukakis and Bob Dole.
But the actor and director, who has been outspoken in support of Democratic causes in the past, also doesn't offer full-throated support for President Barack Obama.
"I voted for Obama last time, although he got to be all things to all people then," Affleck said in an interview to promote his new film, "Argo." ''And now he's got a record which makes it really different ... I obviously have more complicated feelings."
Affleck says Romney's inability to connect with everyday Americans is reminiscent of past failed candidates.
"I think Republicans really had a chance to win," Affleck said. "And they kind of ended up with like a sort of Mike Dukakis, Al Gore, Bob Dole type - who just couldn't get people to see him as a real person somehow. Romney just had such trouble coming off as just like the kind of person you see at the grocery store. And I truly believe that has cost him the election."
"It seems quite unlikely at least if you look at the statistics that he's going to pull it out. I think something happens in presidential politics where there's negative momentum. You start making mistakes and then all your advisers tell you, 'You've got to raise your arms more!' 'You've got to talk deeper.' So people just get into becoming robotic."
Affleck's "Argo," in theaters Oct. 12, chronicles a joint effort by the CIA and the Canadian government to rescue six Americans from Tehran after the U.S. embassy was taken over by Islamist militants in 1978.
Affleck, who has done lobbying in Washington and visited Africa several times for various causes, doesn't sound much of an optimistic note whatever the outcome in November.
RELATED: Celeb Protesters
"The world is a very tricky place in terms of foreign affairs. And really, really we're in very bad shape economically," he said. "My worry is less about the presidential election than whether or not we're on a permanent downtrend. That really concerns me. Beyond the Obama administration and whoever the next - the Clinton administration - whoever gets elected next. That's my main concern."
Take a peek at Jessica Simpson’s kissy Instagram feed on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite