Ben Affleck: 'I think Republicans really had a chance'
- Photo: IPA PRESS/Bauer-Griffin1 of 16
- Photo: Brent Perniac/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.2 of 16
- Photo: GTRES/Fame Flynet3 of 16
- Photo: Pablo/Fame Flynet4 of 16
- Photo: Nousha Salimi/Invision/AP5 of 16
- Photo: Mark Seliger/Details6 of 16
- Photo: Mark Seliger/Details7 of 16
- Photo: Mark Seliger/Details8 of 16
- Photo: Survivor/PacificCoastNews.com9 of 16
- Photo: Fame Flynet10 of 16
- Photo: Kim D. Johnson/Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: NAV/Fame Flynet12 of 16
- Photo: STEFANO MICOZZI/Insidefo/StarTraks13 of 16
- Photo: Alex J. Berliner / BEImages/Rex USA14 of 16
- Photo: JIM COOPER/Invision/AP15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'The Following' Showrunner Jennifer Johnson Exits After Only Three MonthsMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 1:19:00 PM
- A&E Networks to Buy Stake in Vice MediaMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 12:51:00 PM
- Adrien Brody Does Not Lead a Normal LifeMSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 12:33:00 PM
- 'Heroes' Alum Greg Grunberg to Guest on 'CSI'MSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 12:01:00 PM
- 'Arrow' Casts 'Supernatural' Alum Amy Gumenick as Obsessive Fan MSNEntertainment 8/29/2014 11:52:00 AM
- 'The Following' Showrunner Jennifer Johnson Exits After Only Three Months
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) -- Ben Affleck is comparing Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney to past campaign losers Al Gore, Michael Dukakis and Bob Dole.
But the actor and director, who has been outspoken in support of Democratic causes in the past, also doesn't offer full-throated support for President Barack Obama.
"I voted for Obama last time, although he got to be all things to all people then," Affleck said in an interview to promote his new film, "Argo." ''And now he's got a record which makes it really different ... I obviously have more complicated feelings."
Affleck says Romney's inability to connect with everyday Americans is reminiscent of past failed candidates.
"I think Republicans really had a chance to win," Affleck said. "And they kind of ended up with like a sort of Mike Dukakis, Al Gore, Bob Dole type - who just couldn't get people to see him as a real person somehow. Romney just had such trouble coming off as just like the kind of person you see at the grocery store. And I truly believe that has cost him the election."
"It seems quite unlikely at least if you look at the statistics that he's going to pull it out. I think something happens in presidential politics where there's negative momentum. You start making mistakes and then all your advisers tell you, 'You've got to raise your arms more!' 'You've got to talk deeper.' So people just get into becoming robotic."
Affleck's "Argo," in theaters Oct. 12, chronicles a joint effort by the CIA and the Canadian government to rescue six Americans from Tehran after the U.S. embassy was taken over by Islamist militants in 1978.
Affleck, who has done lobbying in Washington and visited Africa several times for various causes, doesn't sound much of an optimistic note whatever the outcome in November.
RELATED: Celeb Protesters
"The world is a very tricky place in terms of foreign affairs. And really, really we're in very bad shape economically," he said. "My worry is less about the presidential election than whether or not we're on a permanent downtrend. That really concerns me. Beyond the Obama administration and whoever the next - the Clinton administration - whoever gets elected next. That's my main concern."
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Rihanna strips down to a bikini while vacationing near an active volcano off the coast of Italy on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Search For Celebrity Santa
We're on the hunt for the celebrities who could potentially fill Santa's shoes.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVolcano Vacay
From Crowd Ignite