Bidder pays $1.5 million for trip into space with Leonardo DiCaprio
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage1 of 10
- Photo: C.Smith/WENN2 of 10
- Photo: Dave Allocca/StarTraks3 of 10
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage4 of 10
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage5 of 10
- Photo: Francois Mori/Invision/AP6 of 10
- Photo: John P. De Graeve/StarTraks7 of 10
- Photo: Dave Allocca/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- World Cup: Hollywood Hails Germany, Cries for Argentina on TwitterMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 4:30:00 PM
- NBC's 'Constantine' Casts Mexican-American Star as ZedMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 4:24:00 PM
- Telenovela Star Angelica Celaya Cast as Zed on ConstantineMSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 3:42:00 PM
- 'Real Housewives of NJ's' Dina Manzo on Haters: 'I Don'MSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 3:24:00 PM
- The Mysteries of Laura Promises Drama, Comedy and ... Barf!MSNEntertainment 7/13/2014 3:06:00 PM
- World Cup: Hollywood Hails Germany, Cries for Argentina on Twitter
Money may not be able to buy you happiness, but it can buy you a seat in a rocket ship next to Leonardo DiCaprio. One fan won the opportunity of a lifetime with a bid of $1.5 million at the Cannes Film Festival during a charity auction on Thursday, May 23.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the winning bidder will get the chance to travel into space aboard the Virgin Galactic strapped into a seat next to the Great Gatsby actor -- while also doing some good for the world.
A portion of the proceeds from the auction will go toward the AmFAR Cinema Against AIDS charity. A second pair of seats was also auctioned off on Thursday for a whopping $2.3 million.
The trip was initially listed in the auction booklet as a "once-in-a-lifetime trip to space with a mystery guest," and Harvey Weinstein later revealed that the mystery guest was DiCaprio himself.
"We're going to get someone to bid on a seat next to him," he told The Hollywood Reporter, adding as a joke that plenty of people in the film business probably wanted to see him fly into space as well, "but only on a one-way ticket."
DiCaprio would not be the first celebrity lined up for a journey into the beyond -- it was revealed in March 2012 that Ashton Kutcher was the 500th customer to sign up for Richard Branson's venture to launch tourists into space.
"I gave Ashton a quick call to congratulate and welcome him," Branson wrote on his blog at the time. "He is as thrilled as we are at the prospect of being among the first to cross the final frontier (and back!) with us and to experience the magic of space for himself."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
Check out some of the cutest celeb baby bumps hitting the beach this summer.Watch Video »
Kesha's New Looks
See how Kesha's looks have changed since Rehab.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez brings the glam while spending time with her fam at Paris Fashion Week on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Sofia Vergara to Zac Efron, check out who's coupling up on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop about the troubled star on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBikini Bods!
From Crowd Ignite