Billy Bob Thornton: I Didn't Think I Was Good Enough to Be Married to Angelina Jolie
- Photo: Paul Smith/Retna Ltd.1 of 6
- Photo: Harry Pluviose/Retna Ltd.2 of 6
- Photo: Tammie Arroyo/Retna Ltd.3 of 6
- Photo: Z. Tomaszewski/WENN4 of 6
- Photo: Jody Cortez/WENN5 of 6
More Celeb News
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Child Star Mara Wilson Has 'No Interest' in SeqMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 8:01:00 AM
- Seth Rogen Blows Up At Nancy Grace Over Anti-Marijuana TweetsMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 7:54:00 AM
- Gallery eyes portraits in the age of abstract artMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 7:52:37 AM
- MovieTickets.com Extends Harkins Theatres Remote Ticketing AgreementMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 7:52:00 AM
- Singer Chris Brown's bodyguard on trial in DCMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 7:05:26 AM
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Child Star Mara Wilson Has 'No Interest' in Seq
Billy Bob Thornton says he screwed up big time with Angelina Jolie.
In an interview with ABC's "Nightline" (airing Wednesday at 11:35 p.m. ET), the Oscar-winning actor, 56, says he realizes he blew it with Jolie, 36, who is currently engaged to Brad Pitt, because he didn't think he was good enough for her.
"She has one way she wanted to live her life and I had another way to live mine," Thornton reveals. "I was just too insecure."
The "Monster's Ball" star says compared to his stunning ex-wife he felt "like the Phantom of the Opera hiding in the catacombs." Harsh comments from Jolie fans didn't help. "People actually said that I didn't deserve to be with her," Thornton shares.
Adding to the strain on their marriage? Their disparate levels of fame.
"When you're in a relationship, any two celebrities or whatever, you know, I think that puts on a lot of pressure," Thornton tells "Nightline." "When Angie and I got married, during that time, I was more famous than she was to start with and then she becomes this big thing, it's hard in these relationships."
Still, the actor says he deserves to shoulder the blame for his failed marriage to Jolie, with whom he says he remains good friends.
"We had a great marriage and I chickened out because I didn't feel good enough," he admits. "That's all that happened. It was no big deal; we never hated each other."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Justin Bieber makes a surprise appearance at Coachella where Selena Gomez happens to be hanging out with the Jenner sisters on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Cindy Crawford and Vanessa Hudgens show their siblings some love on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
The Kind Mama
The actress and New York Times best-selling author talks to WW's Chris Gardner about her new book, "The Kind Mama," having more kids, and a "Clueless" sequel...Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the former cast of "The Girls Next Door" is today.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite