Billy Bob Thornton: I Didn't Think I Was Good Enough to Be Married to Angelina Jolie
- Photo: Paul Smith/Retna Ltd.1 of 6
- Photo: Harry Pluviose/Retna Ltd.2 of 6
- Photo: Tammie Arroyo/Retna Ltd.3 of 6
- Photo: Z. Tomaszewski/WENN4 of 6
- Photo: Jody Cortez/WENN5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Watch This Tonight: The Real Housewives of New York CityMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 7:07:00 AM
- Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Pedro Almodovar Condemn Israel for Gaza AttacksMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 7:04:00 AM
- Ethan Hawke, Kevin Smith, Jean-Luc Godard Among New Crop of Directors Sending Films to TorontoMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:58:00 AM
- Die Hard Star James Shigeta Dies at 81MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:49:00 AM
- Earnings: New York Times Co. Profit Down 21% in Q2MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 6:43:00 AM
- Watch This Tonight: The Real Housewives of New York City
Billy Bob Thornton says he screwed up big time with Angelina Jolie.
In an interview with ABC's "Nightline" (airing Wednesday at 11:35 p.m. ET), the Oscar-winning actor, 56, says he realizes he blew it with Jolie, 36, who is currently engaged to Brad Pitt, because he didn't think he was good enough for her.
"She has one way she wanted to live her life and I had another way to live mine," Thornton reveals. "I was just too insecure."
The "Monster's Ball" star says compared to his stunning ex-wife he felt "like the Phantom of the Opera hiding in the catacombs." Harsh comments from Jolie fans didn't help. "People actually said that I didn't deserve to be with her," Thornton shares.
Adding to the strain on their marriage? Their disparate levels of fame.
"When you're in a relationship, any two celebrities or whatever, you know, I think that puts on a lot of pressure," Thornton tells "Nightline." "When Angie and I got married, during that time, I was more famous than she was to start with and then she becomes this big thing, it's hard in these relationships."
Still, the actor says he deserves to shoulder the blame for his failed marriage to Jolie, with whom he says he remains good friends.
"We had a great marriage and I chickened out because I didn't feel good enough," he admits. "That's all that happened. It was no big deal; we never hated each other."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite