Billy Bob Thornton: I Didn't Think I Was Good Enough to Be Married to Angelina Jolie
- Photo: Paul Smith/Retna Ltd.1 of 6
- Photo: Harry Pluviose/Retna Ltd.2 of 6
- Photo: Tammie Arroyo/Retna Ltd.3 of 6
- Photo: Z. Tomaszewski/WENN4 of 6
- Photo: Jody Cortez/WENN5 of 6
More Celeb News
- John Travolta cannot stop ex-pilot's tell-all lawsuit, court saysMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Walking Dead' Star Steven Yeun Is Writing and Producing His Own Projects to CreatMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:45:00 PM
- Jeff Blake's Departure at Sony Leaves Amy Pascal With No One Else to BlameMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Mega Buzz: Chicago Fire's Triangle, a Scandal Death and Sleepy Sneakiness MSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Ken Burns 'Thrilled' About Central Park Five SettlementMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:27:00 PM
- John Travolta cannot stop ex-pilot's tell-all lawsuit, court says
Billy Bob Thornton says he screwed up big time with Angelina Jolie.
In an interview with ABC's "Nightline" (airing Wednesday at 11:35 p.m. ET), the Oscar-winning actor, 56, says he realizes he blew it with Jolie, 36, who is currently engaged to Brad Pitt, because he didn't think he was good enough for her.
"She has one way she wanted to live her life and I had another way to live mine," Thornton reveals. "I was just too insecure."
The "Monster's Ball" star says compared to his stunning ex-wife he felt "like the Phantom of the Opera hiding in the catacombs." Harsh comments from Jolie fans didn't help. "People actually said that I didn't deserve to be with her," Thornton shares.
Adding to the strain on their marriage? Their disparate levels of fame.
"When you're in a relationship, any two celebrities or whatever, you know, I think that puts on a lot of pressure," Thornton tells "Nightline." "When Angie and I got married, during that time, I was more famous than she was to start with and then she becomes this big thing, it's hard in these relationships."
Still, the actor says he deserves to shoulder the blame for his failed marriage to Jolie, with whom he says he remains good friends.
"We had a great marriage and I chickened out because I didn't feel good enough," he admits. "That's all that happened. It was no big deal; we never hated each other."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Derek Hough undergoes painful physical therapy to deal with a back injury, plus more stars seek professional tune ups on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTexas Heat
From Crowd Ignite