Brad Pitt: Gwyneth Paltrow's Dad Bruce Taught Me to Be 'Humble'
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: Max Vadukul/Esquire2 of 16
- Photo: Picture Perfect/Rex USA3 of 16
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/FilmMagic4 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 16
- Photo: Toru Hanai/Reuters6 of 16
- Photo: Dominique Charriau/WireImage7 of 16
- Photo: STR/AFP/Getty Images North America8 of 16
- Photo: Getty Images North America9 of 16
- Photo: Todd Williamson/Invision/Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: Rex USA11 of 16
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP12 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage13 of 16
- Photo: Invision/AP14 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Apple Maps Discovers 'Loch Ness Monster,' World Discovers Apple Maps (Photos)MSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 12:09:00 PM
- Bryan Singer's Lawyer Claims the 'X-Men' Director Was Not in Hawaii DurinMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 11:03:00 AM
- 'Captain America' and 'Rio 2' Battle for No. 1 at Box Office AftMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 8:42:00 AM
- 'Transcendence' Tanks for Johnny Depp's 4th Box-Office Flop in RowMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 7:59:00 AM
- First Lady Michelle Obama to Appear on NashvilleMSNEntertainment 4/19/2014 7:54:00 AM
- Apple Maps Discovers 'Loch Ness Monster,' World Discovers Apple Maps (Photos)
One of the most memorable bits of advice Brad Pitt ever received came from none other than Gwyneth Paltrow's now deceased father, director Bruce Paltrow. Though Gwyneth and Pitt broke up more than 15 years ago, back in 1997, the "Moneyball" actor tells the June-July issue of Esquire that Bruce's words still ring true.
The Hollywood icon, for instance, makes it a point never to call himself an "actor," preferring to use the term "self-employed" instead to describe his line of work.
"I learned that from Bruce Paltrow," he told the magazine. "I always liked it. It's a humble way to describe what we do." And, the 49-year-old actor added, if a stranger were to ask him what he does, he'd say, "Well, I'd be very Midwest about it, very Missouri. I'd say, 'This and that.' I'd say, 'I'm a dad, just like you.'"
Pitt and the Goop founder dated for two-and-a-half years back in the mid-1990s and were even engaged at one point, but she ultimately called off the engagement, and the pair went their separate ways.
"My kind of internal stuff really tripped up that whole relationship," she told Diane Sawyer in a "Primetime Thursday" interview back in 2003. "And I felt really responsible, and also like I was the architect of my own misery ... I just made a big mess out of it."
Pitt would later go on to marry "Friends" star Jennifer Aniston in 2000, and Paltrow, 40, married Coldplay rocker Chris Martin in 2003.
Another factor influencing Pitt to stay grounded in the face of so much Hollywood fanfare is his family with longtime partner Angelina Jolie.
"I always thought that if I wanted to do a family, I wanted to do it big," he said. "I wanted there to be chaos in the house." Pitt and Jolie, 37, have six kids together.
The reality of having to raise six children close in age, however, hasn't been lost on Pitt. His much-criticized Chanel No.5 ad, which seemed to be "the last word in privileged existential exhibition," according to Esquire, was in fact a business move on Pitt's part, he revealed.
"It's the right moment, and it's a classic brand and I have six kids to put through college," he told his manager, Cynthia Pett, of tackling the campaign, Esquire reports. Pitt was believed to have raked in $7 million for the commercials.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Kim Kardashian, Emma Stone, and Solange Knowles all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Victoria Beckham, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Melissa Joan Hart toast their birthdays on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Lena Dunham, and Anne Hathaway all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian, Kristin Davis, and Emma Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite