Brad Pitt: Gwyneth Paltrow's Dad Bruce Taught Me to Be 'Humble'
- Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: Max Vadukul/Esquire2 of 16
- Photo: Picture Perfect/Rex USA3 of 16
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/FilmMagic4 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 16
- Photo: Toru Hanai/Reuters6 of 16
- Photo: Dominique Charriau/WireImage7 of 16
- Photo: STR/AFP/Getty Images North America8 of 16
- Photo: Getty Images North America9 of 16
- Photo: Todd Williamson/Invision/Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: Rex USA11 of 16
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP12 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage13 of 16
- Photo: Invision/AP14 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Box Office: Lucy Tops HerculesMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 3:13:00 PM
- 'Godzilla' Storms Japan but 'Dawn of the Planet of Apes' Rules WMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:47:00 PM
- 'Following' Producers, Stars Reveal Alternate Season 2 Ending, Preview 'RMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:46:00 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 3:17 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:17:05 PM
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the fantasyMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 12:16:57 PM
- Box Office: Lucy Tops Hercules
One of the most memorable bits of advice Brad Pitt ever received came from none other than Gwyneth Paltrow's now deceased father, director Bruce Paltrow. Though Gwyneth and Pitt broke up more than 15 years ago, back in 1997, the "Moneyball" actor tells the June-July issue of Esquire that Bruce's words still ring true.
The Hollywood icon, for instance, makes it a point never to call himself an "actor," preferring to use the term "self-employed" instead to describe his line of work.
"I learned that from Bruce Paltrow," he told the magazine. "I always liked it. It's a humble way to describe what we do." And, the 49-year-old actor added, if a stranger were to ask him what he does, he'd say, "Well, I'd be very Midwest about it, very Missouri. I'd say, 'This and that.' I'd say, 'I'm a dad, just like you.'"
Pitt and the Goop founder dated for two-and-a-half years back in the mid-1990s and were even engaged at one point, but she ultimately called off the engagement, and the pair went their separate ways.
"My kind of internal stuff really tripped up that whole relationship," she told Diane Sawyer in a "Primetime Thursday" interview back in 2003. "And I felt really responsible, and also like I was the architect of my own misery ... I just made a big mess out of it."
Pitt would later go on to marry "Friends" star Jennifer Aniston in 2000, and Paltrow, 40, married Coldplay rocker Chris Martin in 2003.
Another factor influencing Pitt to stay grounded in the face of so much Hollywood fanfare is his family with longtime partner Angelina Jolie.
"I always thought that if I wanted to do a family, I wanted to do it big," he said. "I wanted there to be chaos in the house." Pitt and Jolie, 37, have six kids together.
The reality of having to raise six children close in age, however, hasn't been lost on Pitt. His much-criticized Chanel No.5 ad, which seemed to be "the last word in privileged existential exhibition," according to Esquire, was in fact a business move on Pitt's part, he revealed.
"It's the right moment, and it's a classic brand and I have six kids to put through college," he told his manager, Cynthia Pett, of tackling the campaign, Esquire reports. Pitt was believed to have raked in $7 million for the commercials.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Sexy Marky Mark
Take a look back at Mark Wahlberg's best shirtless looks over the yearsWatch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSexy Sweeties
From Crowd Ignite