Bradley Cooper: I Don't Drink or Do Drugs Anymore
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage1 of 26
- Photo: Javier Mateo/Fame Flynet2 of 26
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN3 of 26
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage4 of 26
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 26
- Photo: Humberto Carreno/StarTraks6 of 26
- Photo: Fame Flynet7 of 26
- Photo: Warner Bros.8 of 26
- Photo: AB1/WENN9 of 26
- Photo: Patrick Hoffmann/WENN10 of 26
- Photo: Splash News11 of 26
- Photo: SWAP / Splash News/Splash News12 of 26
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN13 of 26
- Photo: Eduardo Parra/WireImage14 of 26
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage15 of 26
- Photo: Waterfall Media & Benaroya Pictures/Promotional16 of 26
- Photo: DZilla/Bauer-Griffin17 of 26
- Photo: WENN18 of 26
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP19 of 26
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/VF11/WireImage.com20 of 26
- Photo: RICHARD YOUNG/StarTraks21 of 26
- Photo: FREDDIE BAEZ/StarTraks22 of 26
- Photo: Peter Kramer/AP/KRAPE23 of 26
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP24 of 26
- Photo: STUART RAMSON/Invision/AP25 of 26
More Celeb News
- Warner Bros. Eyes Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe Noir Movie 'The Nice Guys'MSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 4:40:00 PM
- Gary Oldman in Talks to Join Kevin Costner in Ariel Vroman's 'Criminal'MSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 4:36:00 PM
- 'Getting On' Creators Credit HBO Go for Staying on the AirMSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Jon Daly Joins Zach Galifianakis, Kristen Wiig in Armored Car Heist ComedyMSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Fox Announces Premiere Dates for Gotham, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and MoreMSNEntertainment 7/10/2014 3:59:00 PM
- Warner Bros. Eyes Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe Noir Movie 'The Nice Guys'
Us Weekly -- Bradley Cooper partied hard in two "Hangover" films -- something he was all too familiar with in his 20s.
Appearing on the cover of the Sept. 14 issue of The Hollywood Reporter, the "Words" actor, now 37, opens up about his decision to get sober at age 29. "I don't drink or do drugs at all anymore," the actor reveals. "Being sober helps a great deal."
At one of his lowest points, Cooper recalls, "I was at a party and deliberately bashed my head on the concrete floor -- like, 'Hey, look how tough I am!' And I came up, and blood dripped down. And then I did it again. I spent the night at St. Vincent's Hospital with a sock of ice, waiting for them to stitch me up."
Cooper attributes his problems with drugs and alcohol to feeling insecure as he struggled to kick-start his acting career. "I was so concerned what you thought of me, how I was coming across, how I would survive the day. I always felt like an outsider," he explains.
"I just lived in my head. I realized I wasn't going to live up to my potential, and that scared the hell out of me. I thought, 'Wow, I'm actually gonna ruin my life; I'm really gonna ruin it.'"
Though friends attempted to help Cooper realize he had a problem, "Part of me believed it, and part of me didn't," he tells The Hollywood Reporter. "But the proof was in the pudding: I'd always gotten up at the crack of dawn, and that was out the window. I remember looking at my life, my apartment, my dogs, and I thought, 'What's happening?'"
"The Words" is in theaters on Friday.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Reese Witherspoon shares photos of her burgeoning friendship with Sofia Vergara on Instagram on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Rihanna shows her softer, sweeter side -- plus a newfound maternal instinct! -- on Twitter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the many revealing looks that Kim Kardashian has donned recently.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of the cutest celeb baby bumps hitting the beach this summer.Watch Video »
From Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz to Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, take a look at some of Hollywood's strangest couples.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTParis Fashion
From Crowd Ignite