Bradley Cooper: I Don't Drink or Do Drugs Anymore
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage1 of 26
- Photo: Javier Mateo/Fame Flynet2 of 26
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN3 of 26
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage4 of 26
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 26
- Photo: Humberto Carreno/StarTraks6 of 26
- Photo: Fame Flynet7 of 26
- Photo: Warner Bros.8 of 26
- Photo: AB1/WENN9 of 26
- Photo: Patrick Hoffmann/WENN10 of 26
- Photo: Splash News11 of 26
- Photo: SWAP / Splash News/Splash News12 of 26
- Photo: DDAA/ZOB/WENN13 of 26
- Photo: Eduardo Parra/WireImage14 of 26
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage15 of 26
- Photo: Waterfall Media & Benaroya Pictures/Promotional16 of 26
- Photo: DZilla/Bauer-Griffin17 of 26
- Photo: WENN18 of 26
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP19 of 26
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/VF11/WireImage.com20 of 26
- Photo: RICHARD YOUNG/StarTraks21 of 26
- Photo: FREDDIE BAEZ/StarTraks22 of 26
- Photo: Peter Kramer/AP/KRAPE23 of 26
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP24 of 26
- Photo: STUART RAMSON/Invision/AP25 of 26
More Celeb News
- Bryan Singer Speaks Out for First Time on Sexual Abuse AllegationsMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 12:27:00 PM
- Amanda Seyfried Joins Hugh Jackman, Garrett Hedlund in Joe Wright's 'Pan'MSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 12:25:00 PM
- Ladies' Home Journal Cuts Staff, Transitioning Into QuarterlyMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 12:01:00 PM
- NBC's 'Community' Holds Down the Fort: See the Newest #SixSeasonsAndAMoviMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 12:00:00 PM
- Sony Veteran Steve Elzer Launches New PR Company Elzer and AssociatesMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 11:52:00 AM
- Bryan Singer Speaks Out for First Time on Sexual Abuse Allegations
Us Weekly -- Bradley Cooper partied hard in two "Hangover" films -- something he was all too familiar with in his 20s.
Appearing on the cover of the Sept. 14 issue of The Hollywood Reporter, the "Words" actor, now 37, opens up about his decision to get sober at age 29. "I don't drink or do drugs at all anymore," the actor reveals. "Being sober helps a great deal."
At one of his lowest points, Cooper recalls, "I was at a party and deliberately bashed my head on the concrete floor -- like, 'Hey, look how tough I am!' And I came up, and blood dripped down. And then I did it again. I spent the night at St. Vincent's Hospital with a sock of ice, waiting for them to stitch me up."
Cooper attributes his problems with drugs and alcohol to feeling insecure as he struggled to kick-start his acting career. "I was so concerned what you thought of me, how I was coming across, how I would survive the day. I always felt like an outsider," he explains.
"I just lived in my head. I realized I wasn't going to live up to my potential, and that scared the hell out of me. I thought, 'Wow, I'm actually gonna ruin my life; I'm really gonna ruin it.'"
Though friends attempted to help Cooper realize he had a problem, "Part of me believed it, and part of me didn't," he tells The Hollywood Reporter. "But the proof was in the pudding: I'd always gotten up at the crack of dawn, and that was out the window. I remember looking at my life, my apartment, my dogs, and I thought, 'What's happening?'"
"The Words" is in theaters on Friday.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
From Lena Dunham to Kristen Stewart, see the most awkward red carpet posers.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Julianne's hunky Canadian hockey beau on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek in Photos
From Crowd Ignite