Bradley Cooper: I got arrested when I was 15 for underage drinking
- Photo: Cliff Watts/Esquire1 of 7
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN2 of 7
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage3 of 7
- Photo: Arthur Mola/Invision/AP4 of 7
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage5 of 7
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage6 of 7
More Celeb News
- CNN's Nischelle Turner Joining 'Entertainment Tonight' as Correspondent (MSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 12:40:00 PM
- 'Ellen' Show's Return Banks Highest-Rated Week in Show HistoryMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 12:29:00 PM
- PR Vet Dick Lippin, Producer Allison Shearmur Being Honored by Zimmer Children's MuseumMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 11:58:00 AM
- Discovery's Nik Wallenda Chicago Skyscraper Walk to Air Live in NovemberMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 11:49:00 AM
- Eminem Publishers Sue New Zealand Political Party for Copyright InfringementMSNEntertainment 9/16/2014 11:33:00 AM
- CNN's Nischelle Turner Joining 'Entertainment Tonight' as Correspondent (
Bradley Cooper wasn't always the poster child for good behavior growing up in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania -- but he was still a pretty good seed.
The 37-year-old "Silver Linings Playbook" actor appears on the December cover of Esquire. In the accompanying interview, Cooper talks candidly about his small town upbringing and credits his parents for keeping him on the straight and narrow.
"I grew up in an interesting family. My father was Irish, and my mother was Italian. It's a rich tapestry. It's soaking in volatility. But I was raised well. I put them through some hell, of course. I got arrested [for underage drinking] when I was 15," he says. (Cooper has been sober since age 29.)
"My mom [Gloria] always said, 'Just call me. I wanna know where you are,'" said the actor, who was spotted on Monday night snacking on Sheila G's Brownie Brittle at New York's Royalton Hotel during the after-party for the "Silver Linings" premiere. "We always had good lines of communication, me and my parents."
Cooper credits his late father, Charles, with shaping the man he is today.
"My father was viciously smart and intellectually curious. We lived across the street from a movie theater. And he would always talk about all these movies, and when I was at the age of being able to appreciate them, he just started throwin' 'em my way," the actor says of his dad, who passed away in early 2011. "He was a huge Tom Courtenay fan. 'Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner' was one of the first ones he showed me. And 'The Dresser.' And 'Under the Volcano.' He loved Albert Finney."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian cuddles a koala, plus more stars share their photos from adventures abroad on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See what the cast of "Saved by the Bell" is up to today.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHighs and Lows
From Crowd Ignite