Brooke Shields Reveals How She Avoided Becoming Tragic Child Star
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: Gregory Pace / BEImages/Wonderwall2 of 16
- Photo: Blayze / Splash News/Splash News3 of 16
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks5 of 16
- Photo: Rex USA6 of 16
- Photo: Gregory Pace / BEImages/Rex USA7 of 16
- Photo: Sara Jaye Weiss/StarTraks8 of 16
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: Jean-Paul Aussenard/Bauer-Griffin11 of 16
- Photo: Byron Purvis/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.12 of 16
- Photo: David Buchan/Splash News13 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage14 of 16
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Disney to Make Chinese Co-Productions With Shanghai Media GroupMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 4:37:00 PM
- Managers Call SAG-AFTRA's Code of Ethics 'DOA' After SurveyMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 4:31:00 PM
- FX's 'Archer' Renewed for 2 More SeasonsMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Insiders: Andrew Garfield Rewrote Batkid Oscars Speech, Thought Segment Was ExploitativeMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 3:54:00 PM
- CW's Uncensored 'Reign' Sex Scenes Are 'Appalling,' SayMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 3:22:00 PM
- Disney to Make Chinese Co-Productions With Shanghai Media Group
Brooke Shield's trajectory from child star to full-fledged movie siren was one littered with plenty of controversy, but the veteran actress, who is mother to two young daughters of her own now, said she had a trick to keep from walking down the path of Hollywood destruction.
"I would get invited to Studio 54, but I'd leave before all the craziness and drugs happened," she told the new issue of Haute Living. "I never saw the bag passed around. Andy Warhol and all those guys were very sweet to me. There was something about me that they wanted to protect and uphold."
Shields, now 47, first made her big screen debut as a child prostitute in Louis Malle's controversial Pretty Baby at the young age of 12. The actress said that even though there were plenty of naysayers surrounding the film's release, she was personally never fazed by the risque roles she took on.
"I think that the reason why I was unfazed was because there was an innocence to the characters," she said. "In Pretty Baby the director didn't want a little Lolita, he wanted an innocent kid and he got that."
Even her mother Teri, who received plenty of backlash for allowing her daughter to star in the film and bare her midriff in a sexy 1980 Calvin Klein advertisement, tried to keep Shields from going down the wrong path, she said.
"She wanted me to stay a kid for as long as possible, which may seem like a contradiction, but there was this freedom and naivety where I wasn't cognizant of things," she explained. "I wasn't cognizant enough to know that you would be insecure or uncomfortable."
Shields has two young daughters with husband Chris Henchy -- Rowan, 8, and Grier, 5.
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
Check out the many ways that Britney Spears is looking better than ever.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Nicole Richie debuts a lavender hair color on Instagram on Celebs Gone Social. What does Kelly Osbourne have to do with it?Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite