Brooke Shields Reveals How She Avoided Becoming Tragic Child Star
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: Gregory Pace / BEImages/Wonderwall2 of 16
- Photo: Blayze / Splash News/Splash News3 of 16
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks5 of 16
- Photo: Rex USA6 of 16
- Photo: Gregory Pace / BEImages/Rex USA7 of 16
- Photo: Sara Jaye Weiss/StarTraks8 of 16
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: Jean-Paul Aussenard/Bauer-Griffin11 of 16
- Photo: Byron Purvis/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.12 of 16
- Photo: David Buchan/Splash News13 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage14 of 16
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Report: Joan Rivers Being Taken Out of ComaMSNEntertainment 9/1/2014 2:46:00 PM
- 'Saved by the Bell' Casting Director on Returning for the Movie, Why Finding a NewMSNEntertainment 9/1/2014 11:11:00 AM
- VENICE WATCH: McDormand hails female storiesMSNEntertainment 9/1/2014 10:20:02 AM
- 'Guardians' tops Labor Day, summer box officeMSNEntertainment 9/1/2014 10:07:27 AM
- Jennifer Lawrence requests nude pics investigationMSNEntertainment 9/1/2014 9:43:01 AM
- Report: Joan Rivers Being Taken Out of Coma
Brooke Shield's trajectory from child star to full-fledged movie siren was one littered with plenty of controversy, but the veteran actress, who is mother to two young daughters of her own now, said she had a trick to keep from walking down the path of Hollywood destruction.
"I would get invited to Studio 54, but I'd leave before all the craziness and drugs happened," she told the new issue of Haute Living. "I never saw the bag passed around. Andy Warhol and all those guys were very sweet to me. There was something about me that they wanted to protect and uphold."
Shields, now 47, first made her big screen debut as a child prostitute in Louis Malle's controversial Pretty Baby at the young age of 12. The actress said that even though there were plenty of naysayers surrounding the film's release, she was personally never fazed by the risque roles she took on.
"I think that the reason why I was unfazed was because there was an innocence to the characters," she said. "In Pretty Baby the director didn't want a little Lolita, he wanted an innocent kid and he got that."
Even her mother Teri, who received plenty of backlash for allowing her daughter to star in the film and bare her midriff in a sexy 1980 Calvin Klein advertisement, tried to keep Shields from going down the wrong path, she said.
"She wanted me to stay a kid for as long as possible, which may seem like a contradiction, but there was this freedom and naivety where I wasn't cognizant of things," she explained. "I wasn't cognizant enough to know that you would be insecure or uncomfortable."
Shields has two young daughters with husband Chris Henchy -- Rowan, 8, and Grier, 5.
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
See where Hollywood's A-listers have spent the summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Kendall and Kylie take Wonderwall behind the scenes at a photo shoot and chat family, embarrassing style moments and more!Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFirst Date Ready!
From Crowd Ignite