Brooke Shields Reveals How She Avoided Becoming Tragic Child Star
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: Gregory Pace / BEImages/Wonderwall2 of 16
- Photo: Blayze / Splash News/Splash News3 of 16
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks5 of 16
- Photo: Rex USA6 of 16
- Photo: Gregory Pace / BEImages/Rex USA7 of 16
- Photo: Sara Jaye Weiss/StarTraks8 of 16
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: Jean-Paul Aussenard/Bauer-Griffin11 of 16
- Photo: Byron Purvis/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.12 of 16
- Photo: David Buchan/Splash News13 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage14 of 16
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'Prisoners' Director Denis Villeneuve Eyed for Female-Driven Crime Drama &aposMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 11:49:18 AM
- 'Twice Born' Review: Penélope Cruz and Emile Hirsch as Twits Under Fire in SarajevMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 11:31:43 AM
- Rick Santorum Compares Obamacare to Apartheid, on Night of Mandela's Death (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 10:49:38 AM
- Sony Taps Michael De Luca as President of ProductionMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 10:11:33 AM
- Ron Burgundy Thinks 24-Hour News Is 'Stupid' in 'Anchorman 2 Clip (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 10:03:17 AM
- 'Prisoners' Director Denis Villeneuve Eyed for Female-Driven Crime Drama &apos
Brooke Shield's trajectory from child star to full-fledged movie siren was one littered with plenty of controversy, but the veteran actress, who is mother to two young daughters of her own now, said she had a trick to keep from walking down the path of Hollywood destruction.
"I would get invited to Studio 54, but I'd leave before all the craziness and drugs happened," she told the new issue of Haute Living. "I never saw the bag passed around. Andy Warhol and all those guys were very sweet to me. There was something about me that they wanted to protect and uphold."
Shields, now 47, first made her big screen debut as a child prostitute in Louis Malle's controversial Pretty Baby at the young age of 12. The actress said that even though there were plenty of naysayers surrounding the film's release, she was personally never fazed by the risque roles she took on.
"I think that the reason why I was unfazed was because there was an innocence to the characters," she said. "In Pretty Baby the director didn't want a little Lolita, he wanted an innocent kid and he got that."
Even her mother Teri, who received plenty of backlash for allowing her daughter to star in the film and bare her midriff in a sexy 1980 Calvin Klein advertisement, tried to keep Shields from going down the wrong path, she said.
"She wanted me to stay a kid for as long as possible, which may seem like a contradiction, but there was this freedom and naivety where I wasn't cognizant of things," she explained. "I wasn't cognizant enough to know that you would be insecure or uncomfortable."
Shields has two young daughters with husband Chris Henchy -- Rowan, 8, and Grier, 5.
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCheap Jewelry
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite