Brooke Shields Reveals How She Avoided Becoming Tragic Child Star
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: Gregory Pace / BEImages/Wonderwall2 of 16
- Photo: Blayze / Splash News/Splash News3 of 16
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks5 of 16
- Photo: Rex USA6 of 16
- Photo: Gregory Pace / BEImages/Rex USA7 of 16
- Photo: Sara Jaye Weiss/StarTraks8 of 16
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: Jean-Paul Aussenard/Bauer-Griffin11 of 16
- Photo: Byron Purvis/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.12 of 16
- Photo: David Buchan/Splash News13 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage14 of 16
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 50 Countries Enter Oscar Foreign Language Race: The Complete List (So Far)MSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 10:59:00 AM
- LA attorney faces suspension over doctored photosMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 10:49:17 AM
- Peter Dinklage to Star in Crime Thriller 'The Thicket'MSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 10:49:00 AM
- Cuban salsa singer split between island and USMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 10:46:45 AM
- Competency hearing slated for boy in artist deathMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 10:41:47 AM
- 50 Countries Enter Oscar Foreign Language Race: The Complete List (So Far)
Brooke Shield's trajectory from child star to full-fledged movie siren was one littered with plenty of controversy, but the veteran actress, who is mother to two young daughters of her own now, said she had a trick to keep from walking down the path of Hollywood destruction.
"I would get invited to Studio 54, but I'd leave before all the craziness and drugs happened," she told the new issue of Haute Living. "I never saw the bag passed around. Andy Warhol and all those guys were very sweet to me. There was something about me that they wanted to protect and uphold."
Shields, now 47, first made her big screen debut as a child prostitute in Louis Malle's controversial Pretty Baby at the young age of 12. The actress said that even though there were plenty of naysayers surrounding the film's release, she was personally never fazed by the risque roles she took on.
"I think that the reason why I was unfazed was because there was an innocence to the characters," she said. "In Pretty Baby the director didn't want a little Lolita, he wanted an innocent kid and he got that."
Even her mother Teri, who received plenty of backlash for allowing her daughter to star in the film and bare her midriff in a sexy 1980 Calvin Klein advertisement, tried to keep Shields from going down the wrong path, she said.
"She wanted me to stay a kid for as long as possible, which may seem like a contradiction, but there was this freedom and naivety where I wasn't cognizant of things," she explained. "I wasn't cognizant enough to know that you would be insecure or uncomfortable."
Shields has two young daughters with husband Chris Henchy -- Rowan, 8, and Grier, 5.
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Take a peek at Jessica Simpson’s kissy Instagram feed on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite