Cate Blanchett Goes Un-Photoshopped for Mag Cover
- Photo: Intelligent Life/Promotional1 of 17
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage2 of 17
- Photo: Evan Agostini/StarTraks3 of 17
- Photo: Scope Australia/PacificCoastNews.com4 of 17
- Photo: RW5/ZJE/WENN5 of 17
- Photo: Lisa Maree Williams/Getty Images North America6 of 17
- Photo: Mark Mainz/Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: AP1/WENN8 of 17
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP9 of 17
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN10 of 17
- Photo: Fame Pictures11 of 17
- Photo: Pascal Le Segretain/GettyImages.com12 of 17
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP13 of 17
- Photo: HuffPo/Promotional14 of 17
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP15 of 17
- Photo: Robert Wallace/WENN16 of 17
More Celeb News
- 'Beyond the Lights' Review: Gugu Mbatha-Raw Portrays Divadom With Honesty and CompMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:42:00 PM
- BuzzFeed Taps Andrew Gauthier to Lead Video DivisionMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:25:00 PM
- Roger Goodell Won't Resign From NFL, But Promises Conduct Policy ChangesMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 3:29:00 PM
- HBO Suspends Pre-Production of Brian De Palma's Penn State Molestation Film 'To DeMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- Dancing's Derek Hough: We Have Something "Potentially Dangerous" PlannedMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- 'Beyond the Lights' Review: Gugu Mbatha-Raw Portrays Divadom With Honesty and Comp
By Jon Warech
The Economist saved money on Photoshop this month, when Cate Blanchett opted to appear on the cover of Intelligent Life -- their bi-monthly lifestyle and culture magazine -- without any computer touchups.
RELATED: Natural Beauties
The fact that the actress went unairbrushed was a statement made by the magazine that real is beautiful.
RELATED: Celebs Showing Skin
"When other magazines photograph actresses, they routinely end up running heavily Photoshopped images, with every last wrinkle expunged," Intelligent Life editor Tim de Lisle said on the magazine's website. "Their skin is rendered so improbably smooth that, with the biggest stars, you wonder why the photographer didn't just do a shoot with their waxwork."
RELATED: Celeb Moms Over 40
Blanchett appears on the cover in casual attire, with lines on her face exposed for the world to see.
"She looks like what she is -- a woman of 42, spending her days in an office, her evenings on stage and the rest of her time looking after three young children," de Lisle said. "We can't be too self-righteous about it, because, like anyone else who puts her on a cover, we are benefiting from her beauty and distinction. But the shot is at least trying to reflect real life. It's a curious sign of the times that this has become something to shout about."
The choice to use a natural looking photo was a step against the norm in the magazine industry, but one that makes de Lisle proud.
"Publishers want a recognizable person on the cover, with a real career; but they also want an empty vessel -- for clothes and jewelry and makeup, which often seem to be supplied by the advertisers with the most muscle."
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Royal Beach Bods
Check out the hottest royals enjoying their beach vacations.Watch Video »
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Even boldfaced names like Pamela Anderson and John Krasinski get star-struck on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGorgeous Gwen
From Crowd Ignite