Cate Blanchett Goes Un-Photoshopped for Mag Cover
- Photo: Intelligent Life/Promotional1 of 17
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage2 of 17
- Photo: Evan Agostini/StarTraks3 of 17
- Photo: Scope Australia/PacificCoastNews.com4 of 17
- Photo: RW5/ZJE/WENN5 of 17
- Photo: Lisa Maree Williams/Getty Images North America6 of 17
- Photo: Mark Mainz/Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: AP1/WENN8 of 17
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP9 of 17
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN10 of 17
- Photo: Fame Pictures11 of 17
- Photo: Pascal Le Segretain/GettyImages.com12 of 17
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP13 of 17
- Photo: HuffPo/Promotional14 of 17
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP15 of 17
- Photo: Robert Wallace/WENN16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Need More Sarah Palin? Right-Wing Firebrand Launches Online TV ChannelMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 11:42:00 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 11:13 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 8:13:21 PM
- The Leftovers' Amy Brenneman: Laurie's "Not So Fragile" AnymoreMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 8:00:00 PM
- Comic-Con: How 'Bates Motel' Makes Norman and His Mom More Likable (Guest Blog)MSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 7:49:00 PM
- 'Manhattan' Creator on Doomsday Drama: 'Americans Never Met an ApocalypseMSNEntertainment 7/27/2014 5:57:00 PM
- Need More Sarah Palin? Right-Wing Firebrand Launches Online TV Channel
By Jon Warech
The Economist saved money on Photoshop this month, when Cate Blanchett opted to appear on the cover of Intelligent Life -- their bi-monthly lifestyle and culture magazine -- without any computer touchups.
RELATED: Natural Beauties
The fact that the actress went unairbrushed was a statement made by the magazine that real is beautiful.
RELATED: Celebs Showing Skin
"When other magazines photograph actresses, they routinely end up running heavily Photoshopped images, with every last wrinkle expunged," Intelligent Life editor Tim de Lisle said on the magazine's website. "Their skin is rendered so improbably smooth that, with the biggest stars, you wonder why the photographer didn't just do a shoot with their waxwork."
RELATED: Celeb Moms Over 40
Blanchett appears on the cover in casual attire, with lines on her face exposed for the world to see.
"She looks like what she is -- a woman of 42, spending her days in an office, her evenings on stage and the rest of her time looking after three young children," de Lisle said. "We can't be too self-righteous about it, because, like anyone else who puts her on a cover, we are benefiting from her beauty and distinction. But the shot is at least trying to reflect real life. It's a curious sign of the times that this has become something to shout about."
The choice to use a natural looking photo was a step against the norm in the magazine industry, but one that makes de Lisle proud.
"Publishers want a recognizable person on the cover, with a real career; but they also want an empty vessel -- for clothes and jewelry and makeup, which often seem to be supplied by the advertisers with the most muscle."
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
See how Taylor Swift has been rocking red over the years.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Naya Rivera's wacky wedding on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Beyonce to Jennifer Lopez, see how these stars keep their figures trim.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSexy Sweeties
From Crowd Ignite