Cate Blanchett Goes Un-Photoshopped for Mag Cover
- Photo: Intelligent Life/Promotional1 of 17
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage2 of 17
- Photo: Evan Agostini/StarTraks3 of 17
- Photo: Scope Australia/PacificCoastNews.com4 of 17
- Photo: RW5/ZJE/WENN5 of 17
- Photo: Lisa Maree Williams/Getty Images North America6 of 17
- Photo: Mark Mainz/Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: AP1/WENN8 of 17
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP9 of 17
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN10 of 17
- Photo: Fame Pictures11 of 17
- Photo: Pascal Le Segretain/GettyImages.com12 of 17
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP13 of 17
- Photo: HuffPo/Promotional14 of 17
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP15 of 17
- Photo: Robert Wallace/WENN16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years LateMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- 8 Crazy Things to Expect on Sleepy Hollow Season 2MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Emmy Winner and Singer Polly Bergen Dies at 84MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- Kim Kardashian Among the Latest Targeted in Nude Photo LeakMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- U2 guitarist gets boost in bid for Malibu mansionsMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 2:26:14 PM
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years Late
By Jon Warech
The Economist saved money on Photoshop this month, when Cate Blanchett opted to appear on the cover of Intelligent Life -- their bi-monthly lifestyle and culture magazine -- without any computer touchups.
RELATED: Natural Beauties
The fact that the actress went unairbrushed was a statement made by the magazine that real is beautiful.
RELATED: Celebs Showing Skin
"When other magazines photograph actresses, they routinely end up running heavily Photoshopped images, with every last wrinkle expunged," Intelligent Life editor Tim de Lisle said on the magazine's website. "Their skin is rendered so improbably smooth that, with the biggest stars, you wonder why the photographer didn't just do a shoot with their waxwork."
RELATED: Celeb Moms Over 40
Blanchett appears on the cover in casual attire, with lines on her face exposed for the world to see.
"She looks like what she is -- a woman of 42, spending her days in an office, her evenings on stage and the rest of her time looking after three young children," de Lisle said. "We can't be too self-righteous about it, because, like anyone else who puts her on a cover, we are benefiting from her beauty and distinction. But the shot is at least trying to reflect real life. It's a curious sign of the times that this has become something to shout about."
The choice to use a natural looking photo was a step against the norm in the magazine industry, but one that makes de Lisle proud.
"Publishers want a recognizable person on the cover, with a real career; but they also want an empty vessel -- for clothes and jewelry and makeup, which often seem to be supplied by the advertisers with the most muscle."
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
All Grown Up
Nick Jonas reveals how he celebrated his 22nd birthday on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTJLaw at iHeart
From Crowd Ignite