Catherine Zeta-Jones: Health Crises Put Life Into Perspective
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage1 of 14
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage2 of 14
- Photo: SETH BROWARNIK/StarTraks3 of 14
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News4 of 14
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage5 of 14
- Photo: Anthea Simms / CAMERA PRESS/Retna Ltd.6 of 14
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com7 of 14
- Photo: JM11/WENN8 of 14
- Photo: Stephen Lovekin/WireImage.com9 of 14
- Photo: MATRIX/Bauer-Griffin10 of 14
- Photo: KADENA PRESS/Bauer-Griffin11 of 14
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN12 of 14
- Photo: KB4/WENN13 of 14
More Celeb News
- Ratings: Fox's 'Gotham,' CBS's 'Scorpion' PremMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 9:08:00 AM
- 'Scandal' Star Scott Foley's Directorial Debut Acquired by Tribeca, Well MSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 9:00:00 AM
- Outfest to Honor Hilary Swank, Armistead Maupin and Levi Strauss & Co at Legacy Awards DinneMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 8:18:00 AM
- Maker Studios Targets Hispanic Millennials With MiTú PartnershipMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 8:00:00 AM
- VIDEO: Paula Deen Returns to Today, Reveals Comeback PlansMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 7:24:00 AM
- Ratings: Fox's 'Gotham,' CBS's 'Scorpion' Prem
Welsh actress Catherine Zeta-Jones gained a new perspective on life after she sought treatment for bipolar disorder last year, and she says she's now less consumed with the public's opinion of her.
The "Chicago" star made headlines in April 2011 after she checked into a mental health facility in Connecticut, where she spent five days combating a serious bout of depression.
Zeta-Jones' treatment came less than a year after her husband, Michael Douglas, was diagnosed with throat cancer.
She tells Britain's Stylist magazine, "As hard as it is, it puts everything into perspective on a personal and professional level. I'm not so consumed about what people think or say, like I used to be. It's made me much more centered and I'm not afraid to say no, and if people don't like that, well, tough. I'm looking out for myself more. We spend a lot of time in our business being nice and giving a lot out to complete strangers. And then you turn around and go, 'Wait a minute, I'm exhausted by this. It's our time now and we should be enjoying every minute.'
RELATED: Crazy Celeb Health Habits
She added, "It's not about being a hamster on a wheel. This is life; this is it. And we feel very blessed with our health and everything. And we just enjoy it. Michael's the same. These things are sent to try us, and we do sit back and go, 'Wow, we got through that,' and, 'Oof, we dodged that huge bullet.' I guess it does make you stronger because you have some ammunition to be prepared for something else that's going to sideswipe you, because it really did sideswipe us."
And she reveals the couple has been touched by all the well-wishes for Douglas, who was given the all-clear from his cancer last year.
Zeta-Jones says, "I've had so many letters about Michael, and it's just incredible. We all really appreciate that and all those prayers for him. It's now onwards and upwards. We're onto the next chapter of our lives. As long as we have health and happiness, nothing else matters. ... I'm in a much better place now. Things are going great, and long may they continue, because it's been a tough road."
Get out the vote
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See how Kate Hudson embraces Instagram on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Britney's new bachelorette status on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew Lady
From Crowd Ignite