Catherine Zeta-Jones: Health Crises Put Life Into Perspective
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage1 of 14
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage2 of 14
- Photo: SETH BROWARNIK/StarTraks3 of 14
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News4 of 14
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage5 of 14
- Photo: Anthea Simms / CAMERA PRESS/Retna Ltd.6 of 14
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com7 of 14
- Photo: JM11/WENN8 of 14
- Photo: Stephen Lovekin/WireImage.com9 of 14
- Photo: MATRIX/Bauer-Griffin10 of 14
- Photo: KADENA PRESS/Bauer-Griffin11 of 14
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN12 of 14
- Photo: KB4/WENN13 of 14
More Celeb News
- 10 Oscar Lessons From the First Blitz of Critics' AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 11:58:45 PM
- 'Hobbit' Sequel's High Frame Rate Theaters Nearly Doubled But Warner BroMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 11:36:29 PM
- Leighton Meester to Make Broadway Debut Opposite James Franco in 'Of Mice and Men'MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 9:00:07 PM
- How Hollywood Infiltrated Miami's Art Basel (Photos)MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 7:56:35 PM
- '20 Feet From Stardom' Stars to Sing National Anthem at Rose BowlMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 7:04:02 PM
- 10 Oscar Lessons From the First Blitz of Critics' Awards
Welsh actress Catherine Zeta-Jones gained a new perspective on life after she sought treatment for bipolar disorder last year, and she says she's now less consumed with the public's opinion of her.
The "Chicago" star made headlines in April 2011 after she checked into a mental health facility in Connecticut, where she spent five days combating a serious bout of depression.
Zeta-Jones' treatment came less than a year after her husband, Michael Douglas, was diagnosed with throat cancer.
She tells Britain's Stylist magazine, "As hard as it is, it puts everything into perspective on a personal and professional level. I'm not so consumed about what people think or say, like I used to be. It's made me much more centered and I'm not afraid to say no, and if people don't like that, well, tough. I'm looking out for myself more. We spend a lot of time in our business being nice and giving a lot out to complete strangers. And then you turn around and go, 'Wait a minute, I'm exhausted by this. It's our time now and we should be enjoying every minute.'
RELATED: Crazy Celeb Health Habits
She added, "It's not about being a hamster on a wheel. This is life; this is it. And we feel very blessed with our health and everything. And we just enjoy it. Michael's the same. These things are sent to try us, and we do sit back and go, 'Wow, we got through that,' and, 'Oof, we dodged that huge bullet.' I guess it does make you stronger because you have some ammunition to be prepared for something else that's going to sideswipe you, because it really did sideswipe us."
And she reveals the couple has been touched by all the well-wishes for Douglas, who was given the all-clear from his cancer last year.
Zeta-Jones says, "I've had so many letters about Michael, and it's just incredible. We all really appreciate that and all those prayers for him. It's now onwards and upwards. We're onto the next chapter of our lives. As long as we have health and happiness, nothing else matters. ... I'm in a much better place now. Things are going great, and long may they continue, because it's been a tough road."
Get out the vote
Khloe Kardashian, Jennifer Hudson, and Christina Hendricks all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTAdele's PDA
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite