- Photo: Musa Sadulayev/AP1 of 16
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/AP2 of 16
- Photo: Orchon/Retna Digital3 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com4 of 16
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin5 of 16
- Photo: @heidiklum/Twitter6 of 16
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin7 of 16
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin8 of 16
- Photo: Benassi/Splash News9 of 16
- Photo: Kika Press/PacificCoastNews.com10 of 16
- Photo: ST1/HSS/WENN11 of 16
- Photo: Patrick Hoffmann/WENN12 of 16
- Photo: INB/Ivan Nikolo/WENN13 of 16
- Photo: Fox Searchlight/Promotional14 of 16
- Photo: Splash News15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Cannes: Sundance Selects Nabs Rights to Francois Ozon's 'Young & BeautifulMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 4:01:48 PM
- Brad Pitt Names Jeremy Kleiner Co-President of Plan B EntertainmentMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 3:15:58 PM
- E!'s 'The Wanted Life' Preview: Scooter Braun Stages an Intervention (VidMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 2:55:28 PM
- David Janollari Signs 3-Year Development Deal With NBCMSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 2:42:27 PM
- Jennifer Aniston Stages Mini 'Friends' Reunion for 'Ellen'MSNEntertainment 5/22/2013 1:59:12 PM
- Cannes: Sundance Selects Nabs Rights to Francois Ozon's 'Young & Beautiful
MOSCOW (AP) — An international human rights watchdog lambasted an Oscar-winning actress and other Western celebrities on Wednesday for attending a concert held on the birthday of Chechnya's Kremlin-backed leader, who has been accused of grave rights abuses and spending taxpayers' money on his eccentric hobbies.
RELATED: 50 Cent Linked to Gadhafi, Donates Money
The New York-based Human Rights Watch said that American actress Hilary Swank, Belgian actor Jean Claude Van Damme and British violinist Vanessa Mae attended the concert in the Chechen capital, Grozny. Singer Seal also reportedly attended the event.
The Oct. 5 show was held at a police-cordoned stage on Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov's 35th birthday.
Human Rights Watch urged the artists to "avoid legitimizing people like" Kadyrov, who has been accused by rights groups of having orchestrated abductions, extrajudicial killings and the enforcement of sharia law in Chechnya, a Russian republic.
"Ramzan Kadyrov is linked to a grim record of abuse," the group's Europe and Central Asia director Huge Williamson said in a statement. "When stars get paid to turn up to party with (Kadyrov), it trivializes the suffering of countless victims of human rights abuses.
The artists' representatives were not immediately available for comment.
Kadyrov is a former separatist rebel who has boasted of killing his first Russian soldier at age 15. He changed sides before the second Chechen war started in 1999.
Respected human rights groups have documented disappearances, house torchings and extra-judicial killings, and say they have evidence of Kadyrov's direct participation in torturing crime suspects. A string of Kadyrov's critics and political rivals have also been brutally murdered in recent years in Russia, Austria and Dubai.
Kadyrov has consistently denied involvement in any of the killings, saying the accusations are fabricated to blacken his name. Dozens of Russian politicians, film and sports stars also attended the concert and praised Kadyrov from a stage arranged between a gigantic mosque and a newly built business center.
During the birthday show, Swank said that she has been taken by the Chechen government's "passion to make peace and to make something beautiful."
"I hope to have a film premiere here," the two-time Oscar winner clad in a streaming evening dress said in remarks televised on Chechen state television. "Happy birthday, Mr. President." Swank appeared to be one of the few women to wear no headscarf.
Kadyrov has imposed an Islamic dress code on women, and his feared security forces have used paintball guns, threats and insults against those refusing to obey. He also publicly approved honor killings of women by their relatives.
Action star Van Damme said he "spoke from his heart," but mispronounced Kadyrov's name and called Chechnya a "nation."
The audience gave Kadyrov a standing ovation when the bullnecked and burly man performed a traditional Chechen dance during a song that praised his rule and called Chechnya "the center of the universe."
RELATED: Imagined Conversations at the Oscars
The show was the latest in a series of expensive and extravagant events sponsored by Kadyrov's government amid dire poverty and unemployment in Chechnya.
He has spent millions of dollars to acquire well-bred horses that have competed in some of the world's richest races and to renovate a soccer stadium in Grozny. Famous soccer players have been hired for the club Kadyrov heads.
Under Kadyrov's leadership and backed by huge tranches of money from the federal budget, Chechnya has become relatively quiet. Grozny, left mostly in ruins by two wars, has risen from the rubble, and the insurgent violence that once gripped Chechnya has largely migrated to neighboring republics of the volatile Caucasus region.
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
- Royal AdviceSnooki gives Prince Harry some advice, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite