Channing Tatum: Even Straight Guys Should See Joe Manganiello Naked
- Photo: WENN1 of 9
- Photo: Glen Wilson/Warner Bros.2 of 9
- Photo: MH/GVK/Bauer-Griffin3 of 9
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage4 of 9
- Photo: Orchon/Retna Digital5 of 9
- Photo: © RD / Orchon/Retna Ltd.6 of 9
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage7 of 9
- Photo: DW/Bauer-Griffin8 of 9
More Celeb News
- ZEFR Acquires Social Influencer Startup EngodoMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 4:44:00 PM
- 'Dallas' Finale Ratings: Ewing Cliffhanger Closes to Below-Average Total ViewersMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 4:33:00 PM
- Daytime Talk Ratings: 'Dr. Phil' Tops Premiere Week; 'The Meredith VieiraMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 4:14:00 PM
- Fox News Channel Rockets to Decisive Ratings Victory During US Airstrikes on ISISMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 3:13:00 PM
- 'Big Bang Theory' Star Simon Helberg's Directorial Debut Acquired by OrioMSNEntertainment 9/23/2014 3:00:00 PM
- ZEFR Acquires Social Influencer Startup Engodo
Channing Tatum hopes to see "Magic Mike" reach the broadest audience possible -- heterosexual men included.
The film, loosely based on his own experiences as an exotic dancer, features Tatum, 32, Matthew McConaughey, 42, Alex Pettyfer, 22, Matt Bomer, 34, Joe Manganiello, 35, and Adam Rodriguez, 27, in various states of undress.
"With Joe Manganiello naked in a movie, I think even straight guys are going to be, 'S---, I need to see that,'" Tatum tells OUT's June-July issue. "That man is a specimen."
But Tatum knows that getting straight male moviegoers to see "Magic Mike" is likely a long shot. "It's risky. People say that women and the gay community will go see it, knock on wood, but I know straight guys won't be like, 'Yo, what's up, man? You wanna go see the stripping movie after the game tonight?' I doubt they'll have the balls to see it."
Adds Tatum, "What's funny is that the girls don't ask me questions about my stripping days, but straight guys want to know everything. It's that fantasy element. It's probably why a lot of females on Halloween are the whorey version of a ketchup bottle, or slutty nurse, which I love and respect: It's liberating."
When asked about his days as a stripper in Tampa, Fla., Tatum, who wed Jenna Dewan in 2009, admits that he "never enjoyed the taking-the-clothes-off part."
"You are on a stage with people yelling at you, and you feel you're a rock star, but you're nothing, you're just a guy taking off his clothes, looking like a fool in a stupid outfit."
PHOTOS: Channing Tatum's sexy body
For Tatum, "Magic Mike" not only gave him the chance to revisit his past, it provided the opportunity to move away from tearjerkers like "Dear John" and "The Vow."
"I was definitely looking for something to take me into the dark side," he tells OUT. "You learn something about yourself, you learn about men, women, you see a lot of depressing s---, people that are lost. But at the same time, the dark side can be exciting. It can feel like you're cheating death every night."
"Magic Mike" arrives in theaters June 29.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See how Kate Hudson embraces Instagram on Celebs Gone SocialWatch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Britney's new bachelorette status on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTInspiring Hubby!
From Crowd Ignite