Clooney returns to Sudan with anti-war message
- Photo: Hypnotics/Splash News1 of 6
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com2 of 6
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/GettyImages.com3 of 6
- Photo: jeff Kravitz/GettyImages.com4 of 6
- Photo: Ahmad Elatab-SaleemElatab/Splash News5 of 6
More Celeb News
- 'Narnia' Sequel Taps David Magee to Write ScriptMSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 10:49:16 AM
- A24 Adds Distribution Exec Heath Shapiro to Growing RanksMSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 10:28:45 AM
- 'Breaking Bad,' 'Orange Is the New Black' Among Writers Guild&amMSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 10:07:55 AM
- 'American Hustle' Reviews: Do Critics Think David O. Russell's Latest is MSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 9:48:23 AM
- Dustin Diamond Regrets 'Saved By the Bell' Book; Claims 'Celebrity Fit ClMSNEntertainment 12/5/2013 9:38:40 AM
- 'Narnia' Sequel Taps David Magee to Write Script
George Clooney has returned to Sudan in a bid to raise awareness about the possibility of a civil war there that could split the African nation in two.
The movie star and his journalist father Nick visited Darfur in 2008 and shot a film chronicling the atrocities of genocide there for unaware Americans, and now Clooney has returned to the nation in the hope of raising awareness of a coming storm of conflict.
The Southern Sudanese will vote for independence in January, and that's likely to split Africa's largest country in two and prompt a north-south war -- something Clooney and United Nations officials are keen to avoid.
RELATED: See pics from Hope for Haiti Now
Speaking to TV news reporter Ann Curry, who is accompanying Clooney on his trip back to the Sudan, the actor says, "If you knew a tsunami, or [Hurricane] Katrina or a Haiti earthquake was coming, what would you do to save people?"
The movie star has reportedly spent the past week traveling to remote, conflict-prone areas of Sudan's south, including a mass grave and the ruins of the town of Abyei, which was largely burned to the ground during a conflict in 2008.
RELATED: 10 stars you just can't hate
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite