Clooney returns to Sudan with anti-war message
- Photo: Hypnotics/Splash News1 of 6
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com2 of 6
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/GettyImages.com3 of 6
- Photo: jeff Kravitz/GettyImages.com4 of 6
- Photo: Ahmad Elatab-SaleemElatab/Splash News5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Guillermo del Toro's 'The Strain' Will Take Major Detours From the BooksMSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 4:41:00 PM
- 'The Knick' Star Eve Hewson in Talks to Join Tom Hanks in Steven Spielberg Movie (MSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 4:10:00 PM
- Time Warner Board Moves to Block Potential Fox TakeoverMSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 4:04:00 PM
- The Truth About Corey Stoll's Wig and Other Fun Facts About FX's The StrainMSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 4:01:00 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 6:54 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 7/21/2014 3:54:12 PM
- Guillermo del Toro's 'The Strain' Will Take Major Detours From the Books
George Clooney has returned to Sudan in a bid to raise awareness about the possibility of a civil war there that could split the African nation in two.
The movie star and his journalist father Nick visited Darfur in 2008 and shot a film chronicling the atrocities of genocide there for unaware Americans, and now Clooney has returned to the nation in the hope of raising awareness of a coming storm of conflict.
The Southern Sudanese will vote for independence in January, and that's likely to split Africa's largest country in two and prompt a north-south war -- something Clooney and United Nations officials are keen to avoid.
RELATED: See pics from Hope for Haiti Now
Speaking to TV news reporter Ann Curry, who is accompanying Clooney on his trip back to the Sudan, the actor says, "If you knew a tsunami, or [Hurricane] Katrina or a Haiti earthquake was coming, what would you do to save people?"
The movie star has reportedly spent the past week traveling to remote, conflict-prone areas of Sudan's south, including a mass grave and the ruins of the town of Abyei, which was largely burned to the ground during a conflict in 2008.
RELATED: 10 stars you just can't hate
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBirthday Party
From Crowd Ignite