In another snippet of "60 Minutes"' exclusive interview with Conan O'Brien, the late-night maestro says the he's felt "anger, disappointment, frustration and just confusion," at times since he parted ways with "The Tonight Show."
"No, I have not resolved all my issues," he tells Steve Kroft in the interview set to air on CBS Sunday night. "I am mostly very happy. I love this tour, it's the most thrilling thing I've done in my career. And so I'm in a really great place in a lot of ways. But I'd be lying if I said I don't ... have my moments of everything, you know, anger, disappointment, frustration and just confusion."
On whether he got "screwed" he says, "The biggest thing people come up and say to me in gas stations and restaurants, I have so many people say this to me: 'Hey partner, you got screwed.' ... I always tell them, 'No, I didn't. I didn't get screwed. I'm fine. It just -- it didn't work out.' But I don't want people thinking, you know, that I got screwed. Because it just didn't work out."
But at the end of the day, he says, "I don't regret anything. I don't regret one decision I made in that week-and-a-half period. I wish it had ended differently. But, I'm fine. I do believe, and this might be my Catholic upbringing or Irish magical thinking, but I think things happen for a reason. I really do. And I think that this all happened for a reason."
Earlier this year, NBC proposed moving Jay Leno's "The Jay Leno Show" to the 11:35 p.m. timeslot and bumping O'Brien's "Tonight Show" to a later timeslot -- a move that was rejected by then-"Tonight Show" host O'Brien, who walked away from the coveted position. O'Brien, who is currently touring the country on a comedy tour, announced recently that he will move to TBS in November for a new talk show, slated to air at 11 p.m., with "The George Lopez Show" following at midnight.