Cruz: 'Thin isn't always in'
- Photo: Vince Bucci/Invision/AP1 of 6
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP2 of 6
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP3 of 6
- Photo: KCSPresse/Splash News4 of 6
- Photo: 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona'/Promotional5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Mega Buzz: 24's Reunion, a S.H.I.E.L.D. Return and a New Bones RomanceMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 4:49:00 PM
- Tumblr Tops Twitter's Social TV Activity, Says New StudyMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Comedy Group Dr. God Sets Up AXS TV Show, Wraps First Feature (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 4:02:00 PM
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: 5 TakeawaysMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 3:13:00 PM
- Mean Girls Star Daniel Franzese Comes OutMSNEntertainment 4/22/2014 3:03:00 PM
- Mega Buzz: 24's Reunion, a S.H.I.E.L.D. Return and a New Bones Romance
Actress Penelope Cruz wants to "close down" trashy teen magazines, insisting that they force unhealthy body images on young and impressionable readers.
The "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" star is known for her slender frame and good looks but believes beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, and she's urging teenage girls to toss out any publication which claims otherwise.
RELATED: Penelope & more secret celeb singers
She tells Britain's You magazine, "I would close down all those teenage magazines that encourage young girls to diet. Who says that to be pretty you have to be thin?
"Some people look better thin and some don't. There is almost a standard being created where only thin is acceptable. The influence of those magazines on girls as young as 13 is horrific."
RELATED: Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem wed
The 36-year-old actress also says she's determined to grow old "gracefully" like movie icons Sophia Loren and Audrey Hepburn, and that she'll never play the Hollywood game of knocking a few years off her birth date.
"I never want to lie about my age," she says. "If I look around at the actresses I admire, they are all women who have not fought growing older, but embraced it -- women like Sophia Loren or Audrey Hepburn ... It's a good thing to be old, because that means you haven't died yet right? And when I do get older, I want to have the grace to be proud of it, not to lie about it or try to fight it.
RELATED: More Penelope pics
"The people who love me, love me for who I am. They love me for a mixture of things that makes anyone love another person, and those things will still be there when I am 40, 60 or 80."
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBaby Girl!
From Crowd Ignite