Jude Law joins Greenpeace protest in London
- Photo: DSDG/ZOB/WENN1 of 11
- Photo: OLIVIA HARRIS/Reuters2 of 11
- Photo: OLIVIA HARRIS/Reuters3 of 11
- Photo: DSDG/ZOB/WENN4 of 11
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage5 of 11
- Photo: David Becker/WireImage6 of 11
- Photo: Splash News7 of 11
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin8 of 11
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin9 of 11
- Photo: Shizuo Kambayashi/Invision/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Meg Ryan Joins the Cast of How I Met Your DadMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus Gets It On with a Clown—On Camera—for GQMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Exclusive: Royal Pains Adds Alpha House Alum for Mysterious Recurring RoleMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 2:31:00 PM
- Apple Revenue Climbs to $45.6 Billion Thanks to Strong iPhone SalesMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 1:49:00 PM
- WWE's Stone Cold Steve Austin Slams 'Motherfkers' Who Don't AgreMSNEntertainment 4/23/2014 1:03:00 PM
- Meg Ryan Joins the Cast of How I Met Your Dad
Actor Jude Law and Blur frontman Damon Albarn took to the streets of London on Saturday, Oct. 5, to protest against the detention of 30 Greenpeace activists.
Actors Imelda Staunton and Jim Carter, fashion designer Vivienne Westwood and The Clash rocker Paul Simonon also joined the hundreds of people demonstrating in support of those arrested last month for rallying against an Arctic oil-drilling rig owned by Russian company Gazprom.
The campaigners have been charged with piracy and are being held in Russian custody facing up to 15 years behind bars. The star-studded crowd held signs declaring "Free the Climate Defenders" and "Free The Arctic 30" as they gathered outside Russia's London embassy.
Law, who personally knows detainee Frank Hewetson, told reporters he was "exercising my right to peacefully protest."
RELATED: Brad Pitt's changing looks
He explained, "I am just adding my face and body to the mass of support. The fact that there is a threat of conviction did not put them off. What is ludicrous is that they have been charged with piracy which has a threat of 15 years in prison.
"Of course I am worried about Frank because I care about his family and I care about him but I know that he is incredibly durable. I think that it is very interesting that the people over there probably knew there would be an arrest involved and the threat of a conviction is probably part and parcel of the act of drawing attention to the drilling in the Arctic, which we all know is an international problem which needs confronting."
RELATED: 2013's biggest breakups so far
Similar events were held in more than 40 other countries.
Get out the vote
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the former cast of "The Girls Next Door" is today.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTLife in Pics
From Crowd Ignite