Jude Law joins Greenpeace protest in London
- Photo: DSDG/ZOB/WENN1 of 11
- Photo: OLIVIA HARRIS/Reuters2 of 11
- Photo: OLIVIA HARRIS/Reuters3 of 11
- Photo: DSDG/ZOB/WENN4 of 11
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage5 of 11
- Photo: David Becker/WireImage6 of 11
- Photo: Splash News7 of 11
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin8 of 11
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin9 of 11
- Photo: Shizuo Kambayashi/Invision/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Where We Left Off and What's Next on Devious MaidsMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 7:37:00 AM
- Idris Elba and Girlfriend Welcome SonMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 7:02:00 AM
- Aereo CEO 'Hoping for a Clear Decision' From Supreme CourtMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 6:54:00 AM
- Parenthood Season Finale Recap: Amber and Ryan's New Obstacle and Haddie's Big SecMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 6:41:00 AM
- Parks and Recreation Finale Enlists Workaholics' Blake AndersonMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 6:23:00 AM
- Where We Left Off and What's Next on Devious Maids
Actor Jude Law and Blur frontman Damon Albarn took to the streets of London on Saturday, Oct. 5, to protest against the detention of 30 Greenpeace activists.
Actors Imelda Staunton and Jim Carter, fashion designer Vivienne Westwood and The Clash rocker Paul Simonon also joined the hundreds of people demonstrating in support of those arrested last month for rallying against an Arctic oil-drilling rig owned by Russian company Gazprom.
The campaigners have been charged with piracy and are being held in Russian custody facing up to 15 years behind bars. The star-studded crowd held signs declaring "Free the Climate Defenders" and "Free The Arctic 30" as they gathered outside Russia's London embassy.
Law, who personally knows detainee Frank Hewetson, told reporters he was "exercising my right to peacefully protest."
RELATED: Brad Pitt's changing looks
He explained, "I am just adding my face and body to the mass of support. The fact that there is a threat of conviction did not put them off. What is ludicrous is that they have been charged with piracy which has a threat of 15 years in prison.
"Of course I am worried about Frank because I care about his family and I care about him but I know that he is incredibly durable. I think that it is very interesting that the people over there probably knew there would be an arrest involved and the threat of a conviction is probably part and parcel of the act of drawing attention to the drilling in the Arctic, which we all know is an international problem which needs confronting."
RELATED: 2013's biggest breakups so far
Similar events were held in more than 40 other countries.
Get out the vote
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Justin Bieber makes a surprise appearance at Coachella where Selena Gomez happens to be hanging out with the Jenner sisters on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Watch as Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Kirstie Alley talk about their tumble during their routine.Watch Video »
Watch as Carrie Underwood talks about married life on Ellen.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite