Damon Schools Reporter on his View of Teachers
- Photo: INB/WENN1 of 16
- Photo: Young/Drummond/Splash News2 of 16
- Photo: Sony Pictures3 of 16
- Photo: DZilla/Wonderwall4 of 16
- Photo: DZilla/Bauer-Griffin5 of 16
- Photo: JM11/WENN6 of 16
- Photo: Ivan Nikolov/WENN7 of 16
- Photo: Paramount Pictures8 of 16
- Photo: Ty Russell/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Damian Dovarganes/Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: Paul Hiffmeyer/Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com12 of 16
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP13 of 16
- Photo: SDFL/Splash News14 of 16
- Photo: Mark J. Terrill/Invision/AP15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 'Citadel's' Ciaran Foy to Direct 'Sinister 2' for BlumhMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 4:38:00 PM
- 'Heaven Is for Real' Reviews: Does the Faith-Based Film Make Believers Out of CritMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 4:25:00 PM
- Fox responds to Bryan Singer abuse allegationsMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 3:54:00 PM
- Scandal Star Columbus Short's Wife Files for DivorceMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 2:59:00 PM
- Check Out Dave Chappelle's New Buff LookMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 2:38:00 PM
- 'Citadel's' Ciaran Foy to Direct 'Sinister 2' for Blumh
Matt Damon took to the streets of Washington D.C. on Saturday to protest with teachers in a rally against standardized testing.
The "Good Will Hunting" star joined forces with a number of educators for the Save Our Schools March to push for change and put an end to the current practice of measuring students' intelligence with exams.
A reporter, Michelle Fields, from Reason.TV was in attendance at the protest and approached Damon about his stance on tenures. Fields had commented about giving teachers an incentive to increase performance to which Damon strongly stated, "You think job security is what makes me want to work hard? I want to be an actor, and that's the thing. You take this MBA-style thinking ... it's the problem with ed(ucation) policy right now ... it's like saying a teacher is going to get lazy when they have tenure. A teacher wants to teach."
Addressing the crowd, Damon said, "As I look at my life today, the things that I value about myself, my imagination, my love of acting, my passion for writing, my love of learning, my curiosity, came from the way that I was parented and taught.
"And none of these qualities that I just mentioned, none of these qualities that I prize so deeply, none of these qualities that have brought me so much joy, that have made me so successful professionally, none of these qualities that make me who I am can be tested."
The issue is particularly personal to Damon - his mother is a teacher and he has three young children set to enroll in America's schooling systems in the coming years.
Related on Wonderwall and MSN:
Watch as Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Kirstie Alley talk about their tumble during their routine.Watch Video »
Justin Bieber makes a surprise appearance at Coachella where Selena Gomez happens to be hanging out with the Jenner sisters on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Watch as Carrie Underwood talks about married life on Ellen.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite