David Arquette: I Thought Courteney Cox Was Having an AffairRelated: Courteney Cox, Oprah Winfrey
- Photo: Fred Montana/Splash News1 of 8
- Photo: Harpo Productions/Promotional2 of 8
- Photo: Harpo Productions/Promotional3 of 8
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage.com4 of 8
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com5 of 8
- Photo: Rich Pedroncelli/AP6 of 8
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com7 of 8
More Celeb News
- 'Before Midnight' Review: Joy and Pain, Long After Happily Ever AfterMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 4:32:15 PM
- 'Before Midnight's' Director, Stars Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke Celebrate &aMSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 4:13:43 PM
- Cannes: IFC Buys North American Rights to 'The Selfish Giant'MSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 4:09:45 PM
- Paddy Considine and Fares Fares Join Tom Hardy Thriller 'Child 44' (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 3:55:22 PM
- Steven Soderbergh Is Looking to Direct Clive Owen in Cinemax Series MSNEntertainment 5/23/2013 3:53:15 PM
- 'Before Midnight' Review: Joy and Pain, Long After Happily Ever After
David Arquette believed the rumors, too.
In his revealing Thursday interview on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" -- his first sit-down since leaving rehab last month -- the actor, 39, denied that he cheated on Courteney Cox, but confided that he suspected she had strayed.
Although the couple announced their separation in September 2010, Cox, 46, began discussing a potential split last summer. As the "Scream 4" actor has previously said, Cox gave him a motorcycle for their 11th wedding anniversary and, in an ultimatum, said, "I don't want to be your mother anymore."
Shortly after that, Arquette explained to Oprah Winfrey, "She came down really depressed one day, and was like, 'I'm really just not happy.'" His reaction?
"I felt really sort of abandoned at that point," Arquette admitted.
"I was angry with ... the dynamic of our relationship," says the star, who struggled with addiction all his life. "I was angry with my wife."
Further angering him: "There were tabloid stories coming out about her and someone on her show having, you know, an affair."
When Cox brought up the adultery rumors herself, "I thought she was having an affair with someone. Nobody would've said something like that if she weren't," Arquette said. (He now says he knows those stories weren't true.)
Also at issue: Cox's million-dollar success on "Friends." "She was on this incredibly successful show, so she made more money than me," said Arquette, who talked it out in therapy. "I was sort of always in her shadow. And I'd held all this bitterness."
Arquette also explained incriminating pictures taken of him with another woman last year. After shooting "Scream 4" in summer 2010, the spouses were secretly separated. "There was a period of time there that nobody knew about it," Arquette says. "I would go out and I was available again."
A month into that separation, he said, "I met a girl. There was a waitress at a place. ... It wasn't [an affair]. ...[Courteney and I] had an understanding. I was completely faithful."
Is there a chance for a reconciliation? "I love Courteney," Arquette proclaimed. "I don't know right now. I want us to be the best people we can be. ... I want her to be happy, and if me even being the best person I can be doesn't make her happy in a partner -- like, who she needs, whatever she's looking for -- that's still to be answered."
He added, "I know that I'll be with her for my whole life. And we have an amazing family together and we're really great parents together."
How did Arquette explain his rehab stay to their 6-year-old daughter Coco?
"I told her at first I had to go away to a camp, so maybe that part wasn't honest, but it kind of was," he says. When his little girl visited him at rehab, he told her, "I'm here to learn how to be a better person, but I'm also here so that I don't drink anymore, because I've been drinking a lot."
Coco, he said, gave a big smile.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
MORE ON USMAGAZINE.COM
- Magic LoveThe stars of "Now You See Me" chat learning magic tricks and experiencing the real deal.Watch Video »
- Workout ObsessedGwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite