Debbie Reynolds: 'Carrie Fisher is recovering well after hospitalization'
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage.com1 of 12
- Photo: 20th Century Fox/Promotional2 of 12
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA3 of 12
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 12
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage5 of 12
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News6 of 12
- Photo: Drew/Invision/AP7 of 12
- Photo: Everett Collection/.8 of 12
- Photo: Kambouris/WireImage.com9 of 12
- Photo: Kambouris/WireImage.com10 of 12
- Photo: Retna Digital11 of 12
More Celeb News
- AwesomenessTV's Brian Robbins on How He'll Make 'The SMOSH Movie&aposMSNEntertainment 9/18/2014 4:15:00 PM
- '90210' Alum AnnaLynne McCord Booked for CBS's 'Stalker&aposMSNEntertainment 9/18/2014 4:12:00 PM
- How Networks Are Moving On From 'Irrelevant' Overnight Ratings: The 7-Day SolutionMSNEntertainment 9/18/2014 4:11:00 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 6:52 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 9/18/2014 3:52:23 PM
- Joan Rivers Clinic 'Fixes Problems' Cited After the Comedienne's DeathMSNEntertainment 9/18/2014 3:49:00 PM
- AwesomenessTV's Brian Robbins on How He'll Make 'The SMOSH Movie&apos
Carrie Fisher's mother, actress Debbie Reynolds, has assured fans that her daughter is "doing exceptionally well" following her hospitalization last week.
RELATED: Carrie Fisher briefly hospitalized
The "Star Wars" icon, who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, suffered a psychiatric breakdown during a performance on a cruise ship in the Caribbean and was subsequently admitted to a hospital to address her issues and adjust her medication.
RELATED: Face-off: Pop culture princesses
Reynolds has now spoken for the first time about her daughter's recent troubles, and she insists the 56-year-old actress and author is recovering well.
She tells People.com, "She's had manic depression bipolar since she was 13. It's an illness, and she's doing much better. I'm very proud of her, and she's doing exceptionally well. She'll be just fine, just great, and continue her writing as she always does."
RELATED: '80s stars in their 50s
Reynolds, 80, gave a lecture on the effects of mental illness at the Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, Calif., on Wednesday and said of sufferers, "It's really dreadful, and you are so alone because you're criticized, and people think you're doing it on purpose, and that you're misbehaving or having a spell because you want attention. It's not true. It's extremely difficult for everyone to deal with."
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
All Grown Up
Nick Jonas reveals how he celebrated his 22nd birthday on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek In Photos
From Crowd Ignite