Debbie Reynolds: 'Carrie Fisher is recovering well after hospitalization'
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage.com1 of 12
- Photo: 20th Century Fox/Promotional2 of 12
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA3 of 12
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 12
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage5 of 12
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News6 of 12
- Photo: Drew/Invision/AP7 of 12
- Photo: Everett Collection/.8 of 12
- Photo: Kambouris/WireImage.com9 of 12
- Photo: Kambouris/WireImage.com10 of 12
- Photo: Retna Digital11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Snake Bites Nicki Minaj's Backup Dancer at VMA RehearsalMSNEntertainment 8/23/2014 10:15:00 AM
- VIDEO: Watch the First Five Minutes of Lifetime's Saved By the Bell MovieMSNEntertainment 8/23/2014 8:31:00 AM
- Iggy Azalea Posts Video of Stage Fall on InstagramMSNEntertainment 8/23/2014 8:24:00 AM
- 'Sin City' Sequel Arrives DOA as 'If I Stay' Tries to Hold Off &MSNEntertainment 8/23/2014 7:51:00 AM
- John Lennon's Killer Denied Parole for Eighth TimeMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 9:16:00 PM
- Snake Bites Nicki Minaj's Backup Dancer at VMA Rehearsal
Carrie Fisher's mother, actress Debbie Reynolds, has assured fans that her daughter is "doing exceptionally well" following her hospitalization last week.
RELATED: Carrie Fisher briefly hospitalized
The "Star Wars" icon, who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, suffered a psychiatric breakdown during a performance on a cruise ship in the Caribbean and was subsequently admitted to a hospital to address her issues and adjust her medication.
RELATED: Face-off: Pop culture princesses
Reynolds has now spoken for the first time about her daughter's recent troubles, and she insists the 56-year-old actress and author is recovering well.
She tells People.com, "She's had manic depression bipolar since she was 13. It's an illness, and she's doing much better. I'm very proud of her, and she's doing exceptionally well. She'll be just fine, just great, and continue her writing as she always does."
RELATED: '80s stars in their 50s
Reynolds, 80, gave a lecture on the effects of mental illness at the Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, Calif., on Wednesday and said of sufferers, "It's really dreadful, and you are so alone because you're criticized, and people think you're doing it on purpose, and that you're misbehaving or having a spell because you want attention. It's not true. It's extremely difficult for everyone to deal with."
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Check out the many sexy bikinis Jessica Alba has rocked over the years.Watch Video »
From Gwen Stefani to Britney Spears, check out some of the best all-time style moments from the Teen Choice Awards.Watch Video »
From Gisele Bundchen to Kerry Washington and more stars who've married football stars.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFashion Offenders
From Crowd Ignite