Debbie Reynolds: 'Carrie Fisher is recovering well after hospitalization'
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage.com1 of 12
- Photo: 20th Century Fox/Promotional2 of 12
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA3 of 12
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 12
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage5 of 12
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News6 of 12
- Photo: Drew/Invision/AP7 of 12
- Photo: Everett Collection/.8 of 12
- Photo: Kambouris/WireImage.com9 of 12
- Photo: Kambouris/WireImage.com10 of 12
- Photo: Retna Digital11 of 12
More Celeb News
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:09:00 PM
- PHOTO: Check Out Glee's Lea Michele on Sons of AnarchyMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Discovery Counts Down to Shark Week With 'Gears, Fears and Rears' Week (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:18:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Live Blog: Join Our Real-Time Snark-nadoMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:16:00 PM
- 'Fifty Shades' Star Dakota Johnson Joins Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton in &aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&apos
Carrie Fisher's mother, actress Debbie Reynolds, has assured fans that her daughter is "doing exceptionally well" following her hospitalization last week.
RELATED: Carrie Fisher briefly hospitalized
The "Star Wars" icon, who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, suffered a psychiatric breakdown during a performance on a cruise ship in the Caribbean and was subsequently admitted to a hospital to address her issues and adjust her medication.
RELATED: Face-off: Pop culture princesses
Reynolds has now spoken for the first time about her daughter's recent troubles, and she insists the 56-year-old actress and author is recovering well.
She tells People.com, "She's had manic depression bipolar since she was 13. It's an illness, and she's doing much better. I'm very proud of her, and she's doing exceptionally well. She'll be just fine, just great, and continue her writing as she always does."
RELATED: '80s stars in their 50s
Reynolds, 80, gave a lecture on the effects of mental illness at the Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, Calif., on Wednesday and said of sufferers, "It's really dreadful, and you are so alone because you're criticized, and people think you're doing it on purpose, and that you're misbehaving or having a spell because you want attention. It's not true. It's extremely difficult for everyone to deal with."
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew Look
From Crowd Ignite