Debbie Reynolds: 'Carrie Fisher is recovering well after hospitalization'
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage.com1 of 12
- Photo: 20th Century Fox/Promotional2 of 12
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA3 of 12
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 12
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage5 of 12
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News6 of 12
- Photo: Drew/Invision/AP7 of 12
- Photo: Everett Collection/.8 of 12
- Photo: Kambouris/WireImage.com9 of 12
- Photo: Kambouris/WireImage.com10 of 12
- Photo: Retna Digital11 of 12
More Celeb News
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'SupernatMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:38:41 PM
- Paul Walker Death: 'Fast & Furious' Franchise Posts Tribute on YouTube (ViMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:35:39 PM
- If PG-13 Is the Moneymaker, Why Is Hollywood Cranking Out So Many R-Rated Movies?MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:28:09 PM
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu to direct 'Jungle Book' movie for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:26:12 PM
- Best & Worst 2013: Movie Moments of the Year '12 Years a Slave,' &apoMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:19:43 PM
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'Supernat
Carrie Fisher's mother, actress Debbie Reynolds, has assured fans that her daughter is "doing exceptionally well" following her hospitalization last week.
RELATED: Carrie Fisher briefly hospitalized
The "Star Wars" icon, who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, suffered a psychiatric breakdown during a performance on a cruise ship in the Caribbean and was subsequently admitted to a hospital to address her issues and adjust her medication.
RELATED: Face-off: Pop culture princesses
Reynolds has now spoken for the first time about her daughter's recent troubles, and she insists the 56-year-old actress and author is recovering well.
She tells People.com, "She's had manic depression bipolar since she was 13. It's an illness, and she's doing much better. I'm very proud of her, and she's doing exceptionally well. She'll be just fine, just great, and continue her writing as she always does."
RELATED: '80s stars in their 50s
Reynolds, 80, gave a lecture on the effects of mental illness at the Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, Calif., on Wednesday and said of sufferers, "It's really dreadful, and you are so alone because you're criticized, and people think you're doing it on purpose, and that you're misbehaving or having a spell because you want attention. It's not true. It's extremely difficult for everyone to deal with."
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Check out which of Hollywood's geeky guys get all the hottest ladies.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
From Miranda and Orlando to the Jenners, see some of Hollywood's most amicable exes on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See which celebs had the best and worst beach bodies of 2012.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCause of Death
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite