Debbie Reynolds: 'Carrie Fisher is recovering well after hospitalization'
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage.com1 of 12
- Photo: 20th Century Fox/Promotional2 of 12
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA3 of 12
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 12
- Photo: Michael Caulfield/WireImage5 of 12
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News6 of 12
- Photo: Drew/Invision/AP7 of 12
- Photo: Everett Collection/.8 of 12
- Photo: Kambouris/WireImage.com9 of 12
- Photo: Kambouris/WireImage.com10 of 12
- Photo: Retna Digital11 of 12
More Celeb News
- 'Game of Thrones,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'Silicon Valley&MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 5:04:00 PM
- Stacy Keibler and Husband Welcome a Baby GirlMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:27:00 PM
- Matthew McConaughey Courted for 'The Stand,' Nearing Deal for 'Gold&aMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:27:00 PM
- The Mindy Project Taps Niecy Nash as Mindy's RivalMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:22:00 PM
- Steve Martin in Negotiations to Star in Disney's 'Magic Camp'MSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 4:01:00 PM
- 'Game of Thrones,' '2 Broke Girls,' 'Silicon Valley&
Carrie Fisher's mother, actress Debbie Reynolds, has assured fans that her daughter is "doing exceptionally well" following her hospitalization last week.
RELATED: Carrie Fisher briefly hospitalized
The "Star Wars" icon, who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, suffered a psychiatric breakdown during a performance on a cruise ship in the Caribbean and was subsequently admitted to a hospital to address her issues and adjust her medication.
RELATED: Face-off: Pop culture princesses
Reynolds has now spoken for the first time about her daughter's recent troubles, and she insists the 56-year-old actress and author is recovering well.
She tells People.com, "She's had manic depression bipolar since she was 13. It's an illness, and she's doing much better. I'm very proud of her, and she's doing exceptionally well. She'll be just fine, just great, and continue her writing as she always does."
RELATED: '80s stars in their 50s
Reynolds, 80, gave a lecture on the effects of mental illness at the Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, Calif., on Wednesday and said of sufferers, "It's really dreadful, and you are so alone because you're criticized, and people think you're doing it on purpose, and that you're misbehaving or having a spell because you want attention. It's not true. It's extremely difficult for everyone to deal with."
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out the stunning photos Alessandra Ambrosio shared of her Hawaiian vacation with her daughter on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott put their cheating scandal behind them and vacation as a family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBare Beauties
From Crowd Ignite