Denzel Washington shares the secret to a long-lasting Hollywood marriage: 'Shut up!'
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 9
- Photo: PNP/WENN2 of 9
- Photo: WENN3 of 9
- Photo: Michael Carpenter/WENN4 of 9
- Photo: Ivan Nikolov/WENN5 of 9
- Photo: Robert Smith/Ipa Press/Retna Ltd.6 of 9
- Photo: Eric Charbonneau/WireImage.com7 of 9
- Photo: Armando Gallo/Retna Ltd.8 of 9
More Celeb News
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:09:00 PM
- PHOTO: Check Out Glee's Lea Michele on Sons of AnarchyMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Discovery Counts Down to Shark Week With 'Gears, Fears and Rears' Week (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:18:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Live Blog: Join Our Real-Time Snark-nadoMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:16:00 PM
- 'Fifty Shades' Star Dakota Johnson Joins Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton in &aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&apos
By Jessica Wedemeyer with reporting by Taryn Ryder
Denzel Washington's success story includes two Oscars, a pair of Golden Globe Awards, and more blockbuster hits than you can count on your fingers and toes. But perhaps the actor's most noteworthy accomplishment is his long-lasting marriage to his wife of almost 30 years, Pauletta Pearson Washington.
The duo met in 1977 on the set of TV movie "Wilma," in which they both had small roles. The part, Denzel's first on-screen performance, may not have won the young actor any kudos, but it did help him land his future wife's love. They wed five years later, on June 25, 1983.
So what is the secret to their relationship's longevity? According to the actor, it's a two-step process: "Do whatever my wife says, and keep my mouth shut!" he told Wonderwall at the Los Angeles premiere of his latest film, "Flight."
RELATED: Long-Lasting Couples
In exchange for his obedience, Pauletta has supported her husband throughout his ever-blossoming career, putting her acting ambitions aside to focus on raising the couple's four children. But that may not be the case for much longer!
"She's sort of branching out now that the kids are out of the house," Denzel says. "She's working in New York now and getting her career back on track."
While his leading lady is gearing up for her career comeback, Denzel has been cozying up (on camera, at least!) to stunner Nadine Velazquez, with whom he shares a love scene in "Flight."
"We get all kinds of naked and it's great," Nadine said of the intimate scene. "He's such a professional, he makes everything just easy."
RELATED: Most Loyal Celebs
But Pauletta apparently has no reason to fear. For her loyal hubby, smooching a sexy model is just another day at the office. "It's not intimate or anything like that," said Denzel of what can be one of the most uncomfortable moments for an actor. "Love scenes are very technical. It's you and 29 other people in the room. … I remember an actor said years ago, 'Don't be upset if I get excited and don't get upset if I don't.' It's very technical!"
Regardless of his on-screen proclivities, when the cameras aren't rolling, it's obvious what Denzel's true priorities are: "He's always with his family," said co-star Brian Geraghty.
RELATED: Celebs Whose Families Work For The Church
Get out the vote
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew Look
From Crowd Ignite