Depardieu a no-show in court over drunken driving charges
- Photo: BB3/HSS/WENN1 of 10
- Photo: Mordovmedia.ru/Invision/AP2 of 10
- Photo: JACQUES BRINON/Invision/AP3 of 10
- Photo: WENN4 of 10
- Photo: WENN5 of 10
- Photo: PH3/HSS/WENN6 of 10
- Photo: SP6/HSS/WENN7 of 10
- Photo: JACQUES BRINON/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Graham Hughes/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Rabe, Wolcott, Bidart among winners of PEN awardsMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 6:06:25 AM
- Watch This Tonight: Sharknado 2MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:49:00 AM
- What's a group selfie? Usie (pronounced uss-ee)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:22:22 AM
- 'Real Housewives of NYC' Reunion: Ramona Singer Thought LuAnn de Lesseps Was a DraMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 10:21:00 PM
- Vin Scully Will Return for 66th Season as Los Angeles Dodgers BroadcasterMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 9:36:00 PM
- Rabe, Wolcott, Bidart among winners of PEN awards
PARIS (AP) — Gerard Depardieu again couldn't make it to trial to face drunken driving charges, but on Friday, a lawyer for the combative French actor wrested yet another court date.
A Paris criminal court adjourned Friday's hearing after scheduling a new one on May 24, said defense attorney Eric de Caumont. The actor wasn't there because he was in the United States filming a movie about another Frenchman known for run-ins with the law, former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the lawyer said.
RELATED: Lindsay Lohan's courtroom couture
The court agreed to the delay because investigators turned up new evidence about the incident in November, when Depardieu toppled over on his scooter in Paris and was charged with drunken driving, the lawyer said. If convicted, Depardieu could face up to two years in prison and a 4,500-euro ($5,700) fine, according to the Paris prosecutor's office.
RELATED: Embarrassing celebrity arrests
It was Depardieu's second straight no-show of in court: He had already skipped out in January on a previous summons to appear.
The 64-year-old is possibly France's best-known actor, with roles in some 150 films such as "Green Card." He has made headlines recently after threatening to renounce his French citizenship, becoming a Russian citizen and taking up residency just hundreds of yards inside neighboring Belgium — a move that the local mayor said was aimed to avoid rising French taxes.
RELATED: Depardieu gets Russian home address
Depardieu, a political conservative, months ago got into a public war of words with Socialist Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault, who presented a new epithet for the actor: "pathetic." Depardieu responded in an open letter in mid-December, saying the country he loved was no longer his home.
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Gisele Bundchen to Channing Tatum, see which celebs introduced their babies on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite