Depardieu a no-show in court over drunken driving charges
- Photo: BB3/HSS/WENN1 of 10
- Photo: Mordovmedia.ru/Invision/AP2 of 10
- Photo: JACQUES BRINON/Invision/AP3 of 10
- Photo: WENN4 of 10
- Photo: WENN5 of 10
- Photo: PH3/HSS/WENN6 of 10
- Photo: SP6/HSS/WENN7 of 10
- Photo: JACQUES BRINON/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Graham Hughes/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Bill Clinton Will Appear Thursday on 'The Daily Show With Jon Stewart'MSNEntertainment 9/17/2014 2:14:00 PM
- ISIS Produces Hollywood-Style 'Coming Soon' Video Threatening US TroopsMSNEntertainment 9/17/2014 2:09:00 PM
- John Carroll Lynch to Play Jerry Sandusky in Penn State Sex Scandal Movie (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 9/17/2014 1:45:00 PM
- 'Friends' Scores 20-Episode TBS Marathon for 20th AnniversaryMSNEntertainment 9/17/2014 1:19:00 PM
- Senators Debate FCC Net Neutrality Curbs: It is a 'Nanny State Regulation'MSNEntertainment 9/17/2014 12:45:00 PM
- Bill Clinton Will Appear Thursday on 'The Daily Show With Jon Stewart'
PARIS (AP) — Gerard Depardieu again couldn't make it to trial to face drunken driving charges, but on Friday, a lawyer for the combative French actor wrested yet another court date.
A Paris criminal court adjourned Friday's hearing after scheduling a new one on May 24, said defense attorney Eric de Caumont. The actor wasn't there because he was in the United States filming a movie about another Frenchman known for run-ins with the law, former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the lawyer said.
RELATED: Lindsay Lohan's courtroom couture
The court agreed to the delay because investigators turned up new evidence about the incident in November, when Depardieu toppled over on his scooter in Paris and was charged with drunken driving, the lawyer said. If convicted, Depardieu could face up to two years in prison and a 4,500-euro ($5,700) fine, according to the Paris prosecutor's office.
RELATED: Embarrassing celebrity arrests
It was Depardieu's second straight no-show of in court: He had already skipped out in January on a previous summons to appear.
The 64-year-old is possibly France's best-known actor, with roles in some 150 films such as "Green Card." He has made headlines recently after threatening to renounce his French citizenship, becoming a Russian citizen and taking up residency just hundreds of yards inside neighboring Belgium — a move that the local mayor said was aimed to avoid rising French taxes.
RELATED: Depardieu gets Russian home address
Depardieu, a political conservative, months ago got into a public war of words with Socialist Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault, who presented a new epithet for the actor: "pathetic." Depardieu responded in an open letter in mid-December, saying the country he loved was no longer his home.
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian cuddles a koala, plus more stars share their photos from adventures abroad on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSweet Kisses
From Crowd Ignite