Depardieu a no-show in court over drunken driving charges
- Photo: BB3/HSS/WENN1 of 10
- Photo: Mordovmedia.ru/Invision/AP2 of 10
- Photo: JACQUES BRINON/Invision/AP3 of 10
- Photo: WENN4 of 10
- Photo: WENN5 of 10
- Photo: PH3/HSS/WENN6 of 10
- Photo: SP6/HSS/WENN7 of 10
- Photo: JACQUES BRINON/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Graham Hughes/Invision/AP9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&aposMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:24:00 PM
- 8 Things That Will and 2 Things That (Probably) Won't Happen on Big Bang Theory Season 8MSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:19:00 PM
- Leonardo DiCaprio Adds Star Power to People's Climate March in New YorkMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:41:00 PM
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Crosses $250 Million at Overseas Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:05:00 PM
- Lauryn Hill Slammed on Twitter for 'Utter Shi-' Performance and 90 Minute Late ArrMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:38:00 AM
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&apos
PARIS (AP) — Gerard Depardieu again couldn't make it to trial to face drunken driving charges, but on Friday, a lawyer for the combative French actor wrested yet another court date.
A Paris criminal court adjourned Friday's hearing after scheduling a new one on May 24, said defense attorney Eric de Caumont. The actor wasn't there because he was in the United States filming a movie about another Frenchman known for run-ins with the law, former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the lawyer said.
RELATED: Lindsay Lohan's courtroom couture
The court agreed to the delay because investigators turned up new evidence about the incident in November, when Depardieu toppled over on his scooter in Paris and was charged with drunken driving, the lawyer said. If convicted, Depardieu could face up to two years in prison and a 4,500-euro ($5,700) fine, according to the Paris prosecutor's office.
RELATED: Embarrassing celebrity arrests
It was Depardieu's second straight no-show of in court: He had already skipped out in January on a previous summons to appear.
The 64-year-old is possibly France's best-known actor, with roles in some 150 films such as "Green Card." He has made headlines recently after threatening to renounce his French citizenship, becoming a Russian citizen and taking up residency just hundreds of yards inside neighboring Belgium — a move that the local mayor said was aimed to avoid rising French taxes.
RELATED: Depardieu gets Russian home address
Depardieu, a political conservative, months ago got into a public war of words with Socialist Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault, who presented a new epithet for the actor: "pathetic." Depardieu responded in an open letter in mid-December, saying the country he loved was no longer his home.
Take a peek at Jessica Simpson’s kissy Instagram feed on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTJLaw at iHeart
From Crowd Ignite