Diane Keaton: I Was Bulimic for 5 Years
- Photo: WireImage.com1 of 6
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News2 of 6
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage.com3 of 6
- Photo: Splash News/Splash News4 of 6
- Photo: London Entertainment/Splash News5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Jennifer Aniston, Jon Hamm and Will Ferrell Headlining 'Stand Up to Cancer' TelecaMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 8:49:00 AM
- Ratings: 'America's Got Talent' Dips But Still DominatesMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 8:46:00 AM
- There's Another Duggar on the WayMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 8:34:00 AM
- Hollywood's Climate-Themed Movies Getting Own Awards Show (Guest Blog)MSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 8:10:00 AM
- 9 Burning Fall Movie Questions: Will 'Exodus: Gods and Kings' be Blessed? Who WillMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 7:02:00 AM
- Jennifer Aniston, Jon Hamm and Will Ferrell Headlining 'Stand Up to Cancer' Teleca
Diane Keaton is a legendary actress known for her unique style, natural grace, and quirky charm. In her new memoir, "Then Again," the Oscar-winning actress, 65, reveals she suffered from bulimia at the age of 19, and grew up with a poor self-image. "I was friendly looking, no Candice Bergen. The smile maybe, was all I had," she wrote in her book of blond actress Bergen, now 65, who also became a star in the '70s.
The "Annie Hall" star developed the eating disorder bulimia in 1965 when a Broadway director cast her as an understudy for the role of Sheila in the musical "Hair" with one condition: that she lose 10 pounds. Desperate to win the part, the actress obliged to the director's demands.
In her memoir, Keaton writes that psychoanalysis helped her recover from her five-year-long battle with bulimia and body dysmorphia. Her major stride was gaining control one day, to not "open a half a gallon of rocky road ice cream," she writes.
Keaton now lives in Los Angeles and has two adopted children, daughter Dexter, 15, and son Duke, 10. Although the actress never married, she's dated a string of Hollywood heavyweights -- including Woody Allen (she says she was sick for part of their romance but that he never knew), Warren Beatty and Al Pacino -- and Steve Jobs.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite